We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Belkin router. Slow internet speed

bobjbarker

Likes # 0

I have set up a new Belkin N wireless modem router (F5D8636uk4A v2022uk).

I am experiencing greatly reduced internet speeds when using this router wired through Powerline Ethernet Bridge plugs compared to using the same plugs and cables with my previous D-Link DSL-G604T modem router.

Wireless or wired directly out of the back seems fine, the slow speed is when wired out the back through the Powerline plugs.

My ISP is TalkTalk.

Belkin telephone support suggested changing MTU from 1454 to 1492 but this has made no difference.

Apart from going through the standard Belkin set up wizard for my ISP and changing the MTU I have made no other configuration changes.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try to increase the speed through the Powerline plugs with the Belkin router?

Many thanks in advance

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

In a PC connected via the Powerline plugs, go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK) and double click the entry for the Local Area Connection. This will display its Status - what "Speed" does that show?

With a direct connection to the router this would normally be 100Mbps. Via the Powerline plugs, it may be less but, if it's ridiculously slow, then there is a problem with the network. It has nothing to do with the ISP or MTU settings, that is the internet side of things, you problem is in the LAN.

Like this post
bobjbarker

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response. I'll look at that.

I have noticed if I have another device which draws from the internet plugged directly into the back of the router in addition to the wired connection to the Powerline plugs then the internet speed of the PC connected through the Powerline plugs is great.

Disconnect the other device and the speed slows down again.

I've fed this observation back to Belkin Support also.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made