We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I keep my laptop or invest in a Pc for gaming?

BobRob13

Likes # 0

Now I know from all the 'Googling' i've been doing, the laptop is probably not the best idea, but since i'm new to this ('this' being computing beyond the on/off switch and firefox in general) I'm being optimistic.

I only bought my laptop about 4 months ago for my birthday since my old one was becoming garbage due to me not giving it the care it needed, both physically and internally, although i'm still adamant that me dropping it had nothing to do with the loose battery socket or any other dents and abnormalities. Anyway I use the 'can you run it' tool (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/analysis.aspx) a lot, in the misguided hope that someday my computer will be able to magically play games somehow, and i'm tired of that and so i'm going to do something about it... or try atleast.

It tells me with most games my only problem is the graphics card, although i'm still sceptic about that and think the rest will be just as inadequate. Bare in mind i've only checked for games such as star wars Kotor 1&2 (Old time favourites, don't judge me) and oblivion and fallout. I even checked to see if Cod: Black ops and crysis 2 would work and it was the same, just a rubbish graphics card apparently which I find hard to believe considering from what i've read that they are some of the most high end games out there and since i've done all the things I can manually to make my laptop run faster and it still struggles to play Minecraft on Full settings without being jumpy.

I don't have enough money at the minute to get said PC, but from my novice research I'm guessing about £600 would be suffice?, so if I decide to do that I could get it in a few months. I would be extremely reluctant to pay more as I don't have a job since i'm 16 and going to college, and i'm on the fence about paying this much as it is. I'll stop blathering now, heres my laptop specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz 2.67GHz

Ram: 4.00GB (3.67GB usable)

Graphics card: Intel(R) HD graphics

HDD: 500GB (455 usable (72 used))

Apart from gaming theres not much else I want to do, modding perhaps if I become relativly good at using a computer, I've always wanted to do that.

I think thats it, isn't it? So as i've said i'm looking for advice really, if it is possible for me to be able to play games such as, I don't know Skyrim when it comes out, on my laptop in reality and not just my dreams, that would be great, if not i'll sell some junk, get a part time job and donate some sperm and hopefully have a Pc before november without getting my parents in debt then that would also be magnificent?

If there's anything else i've missed just tell me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
BobRob13

Likes # 0

Ahh my bad, didn't notice sorry, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-225-CM&tool=3 there it is.

I understand the windows 7 bit, as for the cpu I don't know how to tell whats better or not but as long as you say that will do I'll take you're word.

The PSU I will make sure is a good make, understood that. With the HDD'S can I get a 4gb and a 2 for instance? or is it not worth it?

The Graphics card I am fine with as long as it's capable, which it is I'm just asking questions so that if people ask me I can sort of give them answers rather than mumble.

How's this moniter? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-acer-s243hlbmii-v2-black-led-full-hd-1920x1080-300cd-m-2-x-hdmi-vga-80000001-2ms-speakers

Finally, do i just take the things out and put the new things back in? is it that straightforward? I'm not saying easy as It would probably take me hours, I mean in terms of not having to buy a whole new system if one thing breaks or becomes out dated.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The Case an PSU you have linked to is out of stock, which usually means that as it was a special offer,they are unlikely to have the offer again. If you are so set on 500W this is pretty good, its just that I prefer a modular PSU,this isn't PSU

You then go on to say: "With the HDD'S can I get a 4gb and a 2 for instance? or is it not worth it?" Do you not mean the RAM if so unless you are installing a 64 Bit operating system then 4GB with a 32 Bit system is all it can use, so no point of putting any more in.

The graphics card is a good one but you can always buy better.

As for your last question it is pretty much take something out and put something new in. Obviously if you are changing from a ATI GPU to a Nvidia GPU then there is a bit of work involved with changing drivers. The only thing I tend to upgrade is the graphics card and the case, I get bored with cases, just bought this:Case because I got bored with this Case 2 As for the rest of the components I tend to replace them all at the same time.

As for your point about things becoming outdated, components are outdated a few months after they have come out.

Nicer monitor, I am a big fan of Acer monitors, up until I bought my Dell U2410 Ultrasharp both my monitors were Acer. With the monitor that will bring your total to around the £600 mark. You will still need a mouse ,keyboard and a tube of thermal paste. If you you decide to go ahead with the build I can help you out either online or I can give you my number if you want. Keep firing the questions and I help any way I can.

1: http://Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CXUK 500W Power Supply

Like this post
BobRob13

Likes # 0

Alright then, I'll probably go with everything you said, the acer moniter and if I have any more questions which I probably will in the near future i'll be sure to check back here. Thanks Yet again for all this it helped a lot.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry,its this so called improved site,the links have a mind of thee own.I should have checked. PSU

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Well done Gengiscant for your patience and good advice. I would only add that spending a tenner on one of the Haynes, 'Build Your Own computer Manuals' might pay off if you are a first time builder. That's the way I started and I have built about 20 now. It's a bug that sorts of bites you and you save on a lot of future repair bills

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks