We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

processor help needed please

paulhis777

Likes # 0

hello can someone adivise me my son has a game that needs 3 ghz processor he only has 2.4 would it be easy to install a 3ghz what would be the cheappest below is his pc specs, thank you paul

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name S506N-PC System Manufacturer Packard Bell System Model imedia S3720 System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz, 2403 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A1, 07/09/2009 SMBIOS Version 2.6 Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2 Locale United Kingdom Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385" User Name s506n-PC\s506n Time Zone GMT Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB Total Physical Memory 1.75 GB Available Physical Memory 931 MB Total Virtual Memory 5.57 GB Available Virtual Memory 4.14 GB Page File Space 3.82 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

Looking at those specs it would not be easy to slip in a 3ghz processor. you have other problems which are too numerous to go through. Basically this system is only good fro surfing the web, email, etc. Playing a modern game is not within its' realms of operation. I am afraid it is a new pc, but if you do go this way, be careful before you buy and search these forums for people to stay away from. Market leaders to look at Ebuyer, Amazon, Aria technologies, Scan and Novatech. All of these are reliable suppliers. They will have PC's aimed at the gaming market, but you will be looking at the thick end of 600/700. if you are unsure post the specs here and someone will advise you.

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

hello and thanks for the reply any idea what would be the cheapest 3 ghz proc, pc world/maplins £170 + ! if we do buy a new pc what spec, should we look for ? thanks again paul

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

You need to consider what the primary use of this computer will be. If it for surfing, etc, then you really would not need to spend a great deal a reasonable specced laptop can be got for 350/400. However if the intention is for a gaming rig then you will nedd to consider more as this type of use is more demanding and requires considerably more power. This important more now as a lot of the games are now using multiple cores so your first spec would be at least a quad core processor. To help you in this, the current market leader is the new Intel i3, i5, i7 procesors. Get a system with one of thos and you will be amazed at the difference in the speed.

The next is the memory or RAM, this is quantified in gigabytes (GB). Most systems will ship with a version of windows 7 either 32 bit or 64bit. The difference here is the amount of ram each will recognise. X32 will recognise around 3gb of ram, whereas X64 will recognise whatever ram is in your system. There has been a recent sea change in the attitude of X64, because of its' ability to make use of ram. Ram is important, it is better to have more rather than less, as this can impact in the speed of your system. So with this in mind I would recommend at least 4GB, more if you can afford it.

The next important item on your shopping list is the graphics card. These can be very confusing to a newcomer as the market is flooded with all types of variations. To future proof your system as best as possible, I would recommend a card that is able to make use of DirectX 11 (DX11). DX11 is is imp[ortant as the version type is what put the type of detail of the games onto the screen. Newer games being released are going to utilise this detail. For example the new Battlefield 3 game due in October is going to incorporate it, but equally it will work with DX10,an earlier version. However, it will NOT work on DX9 or Windows XP. This I feel is the beginning of a trend, so I would recommend a card that will at least display through to DX10.

There are many other things to consider in the purchase price, such as a hard drive size monitor, etc. but to me as a gamer these are the core components to my system, the rest can be added at a later date

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

if you are unsure where to buy post here and someone will give you advise, but tryto stay online for your buy as retail outlets cannot offer the same value for money. That is, you may find the systems on offer are slightly lower in spec but the same money or more expensive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features