We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Linux sound

jon2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am having trouble with sound, or the lack of it in my Linux OS 2011 system, although I can use skype with no trouble I can't get any sound when I try a video clip from the internet, as I am new to Linux any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

where do I find sound preferences

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I think in most Linux distributions its in System - Preferences - Sound.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

nothing like that in system on my version

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

OK, I wasn't sure.

The only thing I can do is to download a copy myself and have a look at the live CD and see if I can puzzle it out, unless LastChip chips in, I will come back later as I'm busy at the moment decorating and the house manager is watching me :)

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Right, I've downloaded a copy of PCLinuxOS and I had the same problem as you had when I tried to play a music file, I could see it playing but no sound, what I had to do was to enable the sound driver. This is what I had to do:

Click on the PC icon in the bottom left hand corner.

Go to More Applications - Configurations - Configure Your Computer, when the window opens, go down to Hardware then click on the Sound Configuration, when the window opens see if there are any drivers indicated in the window, if there are none then try putting a tick in the Enable PulseAudio, it will probably ask to download a driver, agree to it, then when its finished reboot the computer and try the audio again.

You might have to go to the mixer and increase the volume of some of the faders.

Let us know how you get on.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

when I go into sound configuration there is already a driver loaded which it say's is the one for my sound card, I have tried the other settings but to no avail.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Well jon2, this is a mystery.

Like octal, I've downloaded pclinuxos 2011 and tried to find the cause of your problem, but I have to say, much as I advocate the use of Linux, my experience hasn't been a good one. Trying to run pclinuxos 2011 from the CD on two older machines resulted in constant freezes and lock-ups.

I really wish I could hep you solve this, but after my experience, my gut instinct is to say to you; try another distro. Linux in general is a solid reliable system, but pclinuxos 2011 (for me) has been anything but. The 2009 version incidentally, was fine. Frankly, Linux is now at a point where you shouldn't have to tolerate problems like this and so many other distros now work straight out of the box.

If you want to go down that road, Linux Mint is very good, Open SUSE is fine, Ubuntu 10.10 is OK (avoid for the moment 11.04), all of which offer a reliable system.

However, if you want to pursue this present problem, here (towards the bottom of the page) is a thread where someone else was having the same problem and it seemed to cure itself. He did what octal has already suggested.

This post also gives some insight into problems and a cure for pclinuxos 2011 sound. So clearly there is an issue with pclinuxos 2011 sound. It may be worth looking at the codecs you have available though. In other words, it may not be a "sound driver" problem at all, but a lack of codecs that is causing your problem.

Good luck in solving your problem and if you do get to the bottom of it, please come back and let us all know the answer. It would be invaluable in the PCA archives for others to access.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

First of all I would like to thank every one for there input, and secondly let you all know that I finaly cracked the sound problem, it was only when I used a friends machine that I found out what was wrong, I was useing earphone but they where pluged in a USB and had there own software which was not on the Linux drive, I used earphones pluged in the phone socket at the back of the machine and every thing works fine, I am sorry I did not mention the headphone arrangement before but it was just one of those things taken for granted, once again many thanks to every one.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Glad to know it's solved and the reason behind it.

Thanks for coming back to us.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide