We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Linux sound

jon2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am having trouble with sound, or the lack of it in my Linux OS 2011 system, although I can use skype with no trouble I can't get any sound when I try a video clip from the internet, as I am new to Linux any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

If you hover over the "speaker icon", is the sound turned right up (100%)?

If so, you'll need to find the mixer desk and make sure the channel you want to receive is not muted and is set to a suitable volume. I don't have that distro available to me at the moment, but you may find it in something like: System --> Control Centre.

See how you get on and if you need more help, please come back and tell us.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

have checked the system control for the sound output and it seems set as should be, have tried a few different settings but no good.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

OK, what sound card do you have?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Oh, and which desktop have you got? KDE or LXDE?

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

I have a asrock board with onboard sound and its KDE this is the readout from the control centre of Linux (your card use the Alsa snd_intel8*o driver) which is the one I have selected

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Open a terminal and type:

cat modules

hit Enter

and make sure your driver is listed.

If necessary, type:

q

hit Enter to quit.

Let me know please.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Whoops! Sorry, I missed a command in my hurry.

The first command should take you to your /etc directory and should be typed as follows:

cd /etc

that's cd space and then /etc

now continue with the previous.

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

sorry but all I get is directory not found, your instructions are CD/ECT first then cat modules enter, make sure driver is listed,qto quit

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

A better command might be

lsmod

The post a screen shot, it should look something like this.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

OK, if that's what you're typing, it's not going to work.

And probably in my rush earlier, I didn't make it as clear as I should have.

First, everything you do in Linux is case sensitive, so I don't know whether you're just emphasising what you've done, or if it's the command you used, but if you used capital letters, it won't work. I note also, you didn't put a space between the cd and the /etc

I'll go through the procedure again and try and explain it a little more clearly.

There are essentially three separate commands and the first two have to be individually executed by hitting the "Enter" key.

The first command stands for change directory (cd) you then need a space to separate a command from it's parameters. In this case, we want to change directory to /etc. So the whole command is:

cd /etc

and then hit the enter key.

Your prompt should now look something like this:

YourUserName@YourComputerName:/etc$

The $ sign means you are accessing the file as a normal user and therefore, can't do any major damage. If you accessed as root (another story), the $ would change to a # and you could potentially wreck the system. But that's for another day!

So to recap, if your log-on name were jon2 and the computer was called sunshine, your command line would look like this once you'd completed the first command:

jon2@sunshine:/etc$

That means, you are now in the /etc directory and the file we want to look at, lives there.

The "cat" command, is simply saying let me read the contents of the file. Once again, we have to separate the command and the parameter, so we use; cat, space, file. Therefore, as we want to look at the modules file, the command would look like this:

cat modules

Once again, we have to hit the "Enter" key, to execute the command, so go ahead and hit "Enter".

You should now see the contents of that file and what we need to know, is whether your sound driver is in there. Once you know the result, you can hit q (all on it's own and no enter this time), which will exit you out of cat and back to your command prompt.

I hope that's a whole lot clearer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...