We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE9 (64-bit) alternatively IE9 - missing addon's

compumac

Likes # 0

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit laptop

I had problems in that in IE9 the addon's suddenly disappeared and did not even display in the "Manage Addons". I then found that there two entries in Start/All Programmes/ - 1)Internet Explorer and also 2)Internet Explorer(64-bit). Clicking on the Internet Explorer gave me the IE9 with the addon's displayed, Internet Explorer (64-bit)gave me no addons at all.

Any suggestions/thoughts

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

What version of IE was you using when you installed the add-ons,i think for some you need to be using the version you intend to add too.I have checked my IE versions and i dont have the same add-ons in both,i do have things like google toolbar/java and the default ones windows adds,in both versions but i dont have shockwave player add-ons/real player etc in the 64 bit version but i do in the 32 bit one.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I was not even aware of two separate IE9 exe files. The addon's that went walkabout were on the one and only one IE9 that I knew of that turned out to be the non 64-bit.I have two other PC's both running Win7 and IE9 and they only appear to have one IE9 entry.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

compumac

"I was not even aware of two separate IE9"

Niether was I, but then my OS is 32-bit, so that may be why I don't have "IE9 Versions"?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore the 64bit version.

Remove any I/E icons you have in the desktop.Then go to all programs.

There should be both versions.Right click on the 32 Bit version and click send to desktop.

That way you will only have the one version to open or shut and no more mix ups.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

buteman

You say "Ignore the 64bit version"

When I go to 'All Files' or 'Program Files' all I see is 'Internet Explorer', no mention of any flavour of 'bits'. when I click the folder and go inside, still nothing?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Ok guys

ACOLYTE, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but can you humour me for a moment please. If you 'compumac' and 'buteman' wouldn't mind answering the question...What 'bit' is your system?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Graphicool I realised that my other two PC's were both 32bit Question 1) What are the implications of two explorer.exe 2) How do I add the same add ons to the other Explorer?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Graphicool The affected(?) PC is 64bit, the other two are 32 bit which is what threw me.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Correction. Two of my PC's are 64 bit and on each of those there are displayed two Explorer.exe files.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Go to start.All programs.Up near the top should be two internet explorer Icons.One for that says 64bit and the other one says nothing.

The one that says nothing is the one that you click on and send to desktop.

If you don't have both you are either have the 32 Bit only or using a different windows 7 than me.

Windows 7 Home premium I am using so it maybe different if you use a different version.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...