We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital Photography

Newuser939

Likes # 0

I have a digital camera which can take pictures in RAW format or JPEG. I appreciate that one advantage of JPEG is that because of file size, a lot more photos can fit on a memory card, but now that memory cards are getting fairly inexpensive for large capacities, that is not as significant a factor as it used to be. In theory, RAW files should allow a much better final picture to be produced as a JPEG file will already have discarded a lot of the original information. However, I just wonder whether anyone has done any comparisons to ascertain whether that theoretical advantage is significant in practice.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

You should read this

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Edit in Raw save final in Jpeg

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

Thanks for the answers. Looking at the article and subsequent comments in mimosa418's link, the conclusion to be drawn seems to be that expert photographers will manage perfectly well with just JPEG, but the rest of us are probably safer sticking with RAW, which makes woodchip's suggestion very sensible.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Raw are bigger files with more info in them Jpeg saving after you edit will not lose as much detail in the photo.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS what I mean is do all your Editing first in Raw, before the final Save to Jpeg

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

If you are a 'photographer' who when shooting with film have them processed at the local chemist. Then Jpeg is the way to go, because quality was never really an issue with you.

If however quality is an issue, then Raw is the way to go. The latitude of digital cameras is the limitation. If you have blown highlights or no detail in the shadows, or the white balance is out, or exposure is incorrect then your jpeg photo is ruined. With Raw these problems can be overcome.

Memory is now so cheap I would'nt worry to much about file sizes. I have an 18Mp DSLR and can get a little over 300 shots from an 8Mb flash card when shooting raw

You followed Mimosas link now read this one raw v jpeg

Like this post
matofthemint

Likes # 0

I suggest that you save your final work on a foto in TIFF - no loss if you should have to do further work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

VR controller attempts to make Oculus Rift easier to use