We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sychronising/accessing my files beween PC's over internet

lonemascot
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a home office PC and a PC at work. I also have a network accessed HDD.

All my files (quotes, invoices etc) are stored on my home office PC. I want to be able to either access these files from my work PC and work on them remotely or be able to syncronise the two hard drives so that whatever i do at work will update the files at home and vice versa.

I also would like to somehow sychronise my emails between the 2 PC's so I'm not missing replies etc when i work from a different workstation.

Im running windows 7 on both units and using microsoft outlook 2010.

Thanks guys.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"All my files (quotes, invoices etc) are stored on my home office PC. I want to be able to either access these files from my work PC and work on them remotely..."

Have a look at TeamViewer which will let you either access files on a remote computer or "remote control" it.

"...or be able to synchronise the two hard drives so that whatever i do at work will update the files at home and vice versa"

You can do this with Dropbox by putting all of the files you need to work on into the special Dropbox folder in the PC.

"I also would like to somehow sychronise my emails between the 2 PC's so I'm not missing replies etc when i work from a different workstation."

The best way to do this is to use IMAP protocol instead of POP3. With IMAP, all mail is stored on the provider's servers and your email programs (in as many computers as you want) synchronise with the IMAP server. You have access to all folders, including sent mail, from every computer that you have set up with your IMAP settings.

Like this post  
lonemascot

Likes # 0

Top banana. 1 post answers the lot. I shall give these a go and see how I go. Thanks a lot.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers