We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Resize HD on Tosh Laptop W7

David4637

Likes # 0

I want to decrease the size of the C: Drive (the OS), and increase the size of the D: both are on the same HD, and are therefore partitioned. I go to Control Panel / Admin Tools / Disk Management and both are displayed as Healthy C: Primary Partition and D: Primary Partition. I right click on the C: and select shrink and an error dialog box message titled Virtual Disc Manager says Service can not be started because its disabled or no enabled devices are associated? The same message is displayed if are try the above on the D: Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks David

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Go into Services.msc and enabled the Virtual Disk service

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

c4rm0 - thanks for your reply, I have just done what you suggested and changed Start to Automatic, but it still says Virtual disc Manager needs to be enabled. I have not re-booted my laptop yet, will try that and report back. Thanks for your help so far David

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

I re-booted but can not shrink C: or D: by right clicking. I set Virtual Disc to Automatically start when I used services.msc, but in msconfig / Services tab, there is a tick in the box for it, but under Status in the same dialog it says Stopped. How do I make go to Running as some of the other services indicate? Any help appreciated Thanks David

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to take care changing Partitions as Your Recovery Partition or Recovery CD may not work after changes. Only way round this is to create a Acronis Image of The Drive to a External Drive, so that it can be put back to working order if it goes Pear Shaped

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

Woodchip - I use Acronis to backup. I just want to be able to decrease C and increase D drive, and it will not even let me try to ascertain how much I could shrink the C: drive, hence see the error message above, which says the facility needs to be enabled - HOW DO I ENABLE IT? Thanks David

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you used Acronis Disc Director its easy to do

Click Hear I use old Version 10 not upgraded to 11 as it does what I want

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

1. I just want to know if I use say Easeus Partition manager whether that will work even though W7 Disc Management will not work?

1. Does any one know how to enable virtual disc, which allows Disc Management to work? Thanks David
Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

The Virtual disk service has to be set to manual rather than Automatic it will Enable / Disable the service when needed

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

c4rm0 - set Virtual Disc to Manual, but still get error message that it needs to enabled, in order to shrink the C: drive. Any ideas about enabling Virtual Disc in services.msc, or anything else? Thanks David

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I use all of:

Windows Disc Management

Partition Wizard 6 (and the bootable CD version)

Easeus Partition Manager

Paragon Partition Manager

All have their foibles and refuse to do something or other. If one doesn't work, i just try another.

They are all fairly small, free downloads.

Except for WDM, and I have no idea why that doesn't work for you.

Just try one of the others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED