We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

5.1 surround works in Control Panel but not in games

Adam Patrick

Likes # 0

Hi

I have Creative Inspire T6100 5.1 Speakers

and

Creative Labs SB X-FI Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

When I test speakers in Control Panel / Sound tab each speaker makes the noise to show it is working, but when I play games, only the front 2 work. These are fairly modern games like Elder Scrolls:Oblivion and X3 Reunion so would have thought they would be encoded with 5.1 surround sound.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You should check your settings via Control Panel - Sound - click on your speakers (White tick on green circle) then - Configure - make sure 5.1 is selected then click next to set up your speakers.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Also play about with the settings - try changing to Quadrophonic - may not be perfect - but may just work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is there a setting within the games' options?

Like this post
Adam Patrick

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies

Yes I made sure to go into configure and 5.1 is selected

I've also played a bit with settings like Quad and 7.1 with no improvement unfortunately.

Enabling "X-Fi CMSS-3D" in Soundblaster tab / Settings makes the rear speakers work but no Sub-Woofer or Centre, but an improvement over just the front 2.

Like this post
Adam Patrick

Likes # 0

Correction

My mistake - seems now that I've enabled X-Fi CMSS-3D, all speakers are now working.

The description of X-Fi CMSS-3D is that it can turn a stereo sound into a surround sound. It might be synthetically done, so maybe not true 5.1 surround, but it does sound good, and works in Windows Media Player aswell !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more