We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

US desktop PC, loud bang when plugged in in the UK. Damage?

Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

Hi There

I foolishly plugged in our HP Pavilion Desktop PC, that we bought in America, into our new home in the UK. Before I had a chance to press the power button a loud bang went off and smoke came out. The smoke smelt similar to the smell of a cap gun.

I was just wondering what has happened, whether it was the PSU / Fuse etc and whether this means the rest of the hardware inside has been fried.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this with a rough Idea on prices and if it is a take in to a store job or a DIY fix.

Thank you in advance

Like this post
Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot guys, I would say you've helped me amazingly.

Plan of action is to take into a repair store and take it from there :) hopefully it is just the PSU.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its that easy to change the PSU I would not bother loading it in the car. putting 240voltsac into a 110volt system just wont go. It will have blown the windings in the transformer. You just need a 240 Volts PSU four screws round the fan at the back hold it in place

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Forgot to Add, Make sure its as big or bigger Watts than the one you take out plus the new one as all the same plugs as the old one, for fitting to hardware

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fuse protects over current, not over voltage so you have blown the PSU.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters http://www.directron.com/psu.html

2. Power supply calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/

3. Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-install-or-change-my-computers-power-supply

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

What Fruitbat said about weight is true. Whilst it is not scientific, it is a good indicator of the quality of components used. Whilst other people keep suggesting £20 as a figure, I would buy a branded PSU and pay at least £50. Others may not agree but I bought a cheap psu and it lasted only 9 months

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia