We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC freezing since upgrade to W7

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

Home built PC running W7 64bit. AMD quad core 2.6ghz, 8Gb ram. Graphics card Nvidia Geforce 8600GT.

The computer was bulit a couple of years ago and as been running ok until I installed W7 about a month ago. The PC is used mainly for photographic work and I run Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. Once/twice a day the screen image judders then freezes and I have to do a reset. I suspect the graphics card,but not 100% sure, hence the question. Last week I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, but this did not cure the problem.

So the question to the forum experts would you agree that the problem is the graphics card, if so what medium card would you recommend, bearing in mind that the 8600GT has been perfectly adequate for my needs.

Many thanks Harry

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

The graphics card you have is supported for Win 7.

Can you tell us more about the motherboard, make & model/serial numbers please and if that MB has a version number.

Thank you.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Have you looked in the Event Manager to see what error messages are there?

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

I doubt it is the Graphics card that is causing the freezes. From the W7 search box type in memory and launch the Windows memory diagnostics and choose restart now and check for problems

If it doesn't find any issues with the RAM i would check the Event logs for any disk issues and then run a chkdsk or run a HDD scan using your HDD manufacturers testing utility

Before all that i would check Device manager to see if there is any conflicts and make sure you have latest drivers installed for the GFX Card , Chipset , soundcard

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay in coming back. Hope the following answers your questions

No conflicts shown in device manager

Board: FOXCONN A7DA-S/A7DA 1.1 Memory checks out Ok.

Events log states serious error "Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 15/08/2011 11:36:48 Event ID: 41 Task Category: (63) Level: Critical Keywords: (2) User: SYSTEM Computer: HS-PC Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Event Xml:

0x8000000000000002

System
HS-PC

0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
false
Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Sorry only half the info uploaded correctly.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Event Xml" I think this refers to my doing a manual reset

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Plenty to keep you amused here: Error

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Thanks gengiscant

Will spend some time reading. However I think the error 41 is due to my having to reset the PC manaully.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I took out the graphics card and found the fan full of dust, cleaned and replaced it. PC running fine at the moment.

Like this post  
gengiscant

Likes # 0

So many of us forget about the dust which accumulates in our PC,and lets face it most dust is made up of dead human cells, any bored so just thought I'd mention it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room