We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP updates for new install

Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

I have discovered a friend's laptop has a pirate/counterfeit version of XP installed. I have an authentic version with unused Product Key.

My concern is if I install this, it will be forever updating. Are there any updates I can download now to speed up the process?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There is a list of them here , scroll down a bit for XP

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks, I'll download SP 2 and 3, that should speed things up.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Been a couple of years since I downloaded SP3. (been on W7 since)

I remember having problems because there were a couple of versions.

In the end, the Network version worked. (I was a network of 1 xPC then)

'XP SP3 enu network download'

It's burnt in my brain since it took me a few days to suss it.

rdave's may take you to later links tho'.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check the notes under Do not install XP SP2 without first reading these important notes.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Thanks all, links bookmarked.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Further to rdave13's advice I regularly do this using the same methods outlined. One tip however is during the setup decline to set automatic updates from the start otherwise whilst you're applying the two service packs the system will be attempting to update the OS itself.

Once you have SP3 installed manually go to the Windows Update site and continue installing Important updates only, reboting and repeating until you have them all. At my last count early July there should be about 131. Then take any optional updates - I installed about 18 leaving 4 alone - windows search indexing being one of them!

Finally then switch Auto Update back on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...