We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mains Power Multi Voltage, Adapter 'plus or Minus' Quandry?

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi this is a non PC question. I have a 'Mains Power Transformer'.

It's settings are...

Input: 220-240v AC 50Hz

Output: 3v / 4.5v / 6v / 7.5v / 9v / 12v

DC 300mA

It has 5 different connectors, for different appliances.

Plus - and hereby lies my dilemma - 2 sliders. Other than one slider being a shade longer than the other, they are both the same. Each has a 'Minus' at one end and a 'Plus' at the other. I can use either slider, but whichever one I choose means I can't use the other? This is not my field of expertise and I don't want to make a possible costly mistake.

So, my question is: Do I use the long or short slider and where do I position the sliding marker. I can have it on a Minus or Plus, or postion it anywhere between.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I bet the long one is lower to higher (3V to 12V) and the short is Polarity.

Can you measure with a multimeter? If you get a +x.xx reading with Black test lead on outer and red on inner, you are on Centre Positive. Your equipment should match.

Voltage may be higher than expected on 'no-load'. It drops to correct value when you connect.

Google for a .pdf User Guide. The label will give you a model number.

Or post an photo via Imageshack or similar.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Look very carefully at the slider markings are they sowing a symbol for the inner and outer pins of the jack plug?

I think they allow you to set whether innner plug is + and outer - and vicer versa

How you set depends on what you are powering for instance my laptop adaptor is = on inner pin.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi robinofloxley

"Can you measure with a multimeter?"

I have one, but unfotunately I can't put my hands on it at the moment, as we are between moves and most of my stuff is in storage. Further more, I don't know anyone who lives anywhere near me, who might have one. Perhaps I'll have a go with 'Imageshack' and a pic or two...

*Hi Fruit Bat /\0/*

"are they showing a symbol for the inner and outer pins of the jack plug?"

No, there is nothing written or any diagram referring the sliders to the pins.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Ok guys

I've just had another route around in my bag of leads and found another multi adapter. This is almost the same as the other one, but only has one slider. This halves my chance of getting it wrong. Theres a sticker on this one, which seems to clear up what the slider is for, it reads...

"Always read the product instructions manual to determine the correct polarity and voltage settings required"

well as I need 9v I've set it to that and because the only other thing that can be changed is the slider; then by a process of elimination, that must be the polarity setting.

My problem here is, I don't know what the polarity setting should be, or even what it means?

So, I have a '-' a gap '+' below this is 10/92

Everything else is the same as on the other adapter, even the make. Which is 'TARNPOINT' made in CHINA

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Different items which may need the use of the adapter, can come with either polarity. Most have a +(Pos) polarity to the Centre pin, with - (negative) being the Outer pole. Though as I said, some may be the other way round, with the Inner pin being Negative, and Outer Positive. Most items needing such an adapter are clearly marked as to which is Pos and which is Neg.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Nontek

I've found the instruction that came with the item, lucky I did. Because although I was told it was 9v, it is in fact 11-15v. As my adapters highest setting is 12v, then that's what I'm setting it to. As for the polarity setting, next to where you plug in the adapter it shows...

+ ____o____ -

The 'o' represents a dot in a circle at centre point. Would you think, as I do that this means the slider should be set in the centre of the line?

The item 'Hardware' in question is a 'TASCAM Mini Studio PORTA 03mkII' or in other words a music/sound mixing studio.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Unusual markings, but I would say that this shows Center polarity as Positive + (A dot in a circles means Center Pin)

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

So does that mean I should set the slider to '+'

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

If I were to set it to the wrong polarity, what would actually happen. Would it just not work or worse?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What is it that you wish to use the adapter on? For instance if it was to run a small motor, wrong polarity would just cause it to run backwards instead of forwards, and could then be reversed without problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...