We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Function keys and projector/laptop use

Damarc

Likes # 0

I do presentations of powerpoint at church. Until recently the screen has always shown stuff on the laptop without bother. However a month ago, the projector retained its Dell logo and I couldn't get my laptop screen up on it until someone told me about function keys and the three alternatives available. This particular dialogue box comes up and disappears so quickly that I don't get much time to click the right option. Is there a way of fixing it to laptop/screen or keep it on either projector screen or laptop screen for a longer amount of time to choose the required option.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There may be something here about "function keys" - hope this helps.link text

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I think this explains it best and may be what you need to know link text

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

We do not use the function keys at our church. Instead we set the graphics output/options to extended desktop. This means that the output is on the screen via the projector and the operator has a separate screen on the laptop. We use SongPro but the same principle would apply for PowerPoint. Once set up it stays that way and the laptop automatically goes to extended display when the projector is connected.

The function key normally toggles between laptop only, projector only and both.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Northumbria61, that is what I have been doing. Although I thought that you had to show the dialogue box and then click on the relevant option and that was the problem because it was on and off the screen so quickly. However I think I have read that you just keep trying the Fn and in my case F8 key until both screens show. I didn't realise it toggled through on each press.

On your other link it said that you can set a default though CMOS, but I think that would be beyond me!

Woolwell, I think I would need a step by step guide as to how to achieve a set up for extended display to stay as default. I'm not sure how you do this from what you said. Thank you

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Need to know the OS and possibly the make and model of laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'