We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing SSD Continued

RussB78
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, This is a link to my previous thread regarding this problem http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/ I have tried several of the things that were advised, but I haven`t got anywhere with this OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

It just works like any other Sata drive and is installed as such by a fresh install of Windows-7 and apart from that OS and very few programs, the whole lot taking up just 18.2GB of space.

Any other advice would be very welcome.

Many Thanks

Russell

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Link not to previous thread.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Unfortunately SSD isn't quite the same as Sata. I'm guessing here so you'll need to 'format' the drive.

1.Boot up Windows 7 disc. 2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt. 3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter. 4.Type "list disk" and press enter. 5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter. 6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.

From another forum.

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13, many thanks for your swift reply, I didnt know any of that information and didnt get anything but the bare instructions for installing an ordinary drive, on a slip of folded paper about 4 inches big.

I hate to have to do all the work that i`ve already finished, but it would be nice to see this thing work as it should, I did format the drive when I got it to put Windows-7 on, what a waste of time this has been.

I really am grateful for your help and will definitely have a go at it, I have read as much as I could regarding these drives over the last few days and there are a lot of contradictions about what to do regarding setting them up.

Twenty years with computers and I get stuck with this, what a joke!.

Regards

Russell

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I assume you formatted it the old fashioned way, same as my work friend did. He found out the hard way also. If you hadn't formatted it and just installed 7 then it would have worked 'straight out of the box' as they say. Hope that advice helps.

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

rdave13,

Thats exactly what I did, and then installed Windows-7, I amm now in the pricess of unconnecting all my other drives so I can concentrate on just this ssd drive and hope things work out OK.

Thanks a lot for all the help, I am very grateful.

Russell

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I'm sorry what exactly is your problem? I use the same SSD so am able to advice, but as yet I have not got a clue as to your problem.

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Hi gengiscant,

My problem was lack of information regarding how to install this drive, I installed Windows-7 on it as soon as it arrived and it was no different in speed than the drive it was replacing.

After getting the advice from rdave13 which I have followed to the letter and another fresh install of Windows-7 it has installed OK but is still not as fast as I expected.

Maybe there are a few tweaks that can still be needed, but looking around a few forums, there are several conflicting points of view regarding these particular drives, So I am definitely not on my own regarding information needed.

Any advice you can give would very gratefully received.

Regards

Russell

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I have never used an SSD, but would suggest if the drive comes with a SATA interface then you should use it exactly as you would any other SATA drive

Cheers HC

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you could have provided a link to your original post it would have been helpful. If I remember correctly I did post links to tweaks on that post but here they are again. OCZ SSd Tweaks and More

Also Iit is little point having an SSD if you still have loads of software starting up on boot.S have a look at this:Soluto.

By the way my PC takes around 30 second to boot, but it did not do it on its own.It was not just a case of bunging an SSD in and hoping for the best. Try the above then report back.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

There is an article on installing SSD drives in this months Magazine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days