We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WARNING--- UBUNTU

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you decide to install Ubuntu (11.04) on your system, it will work with windows, however if you decide hat you no longer want it, and try to delete, you will lose ALL information on that drive, windows will not be able to format or Partition it.

The only way to recover the Harddrive is to use a low Level format program from the Harddrive manufacturers.

USB drives (including USB thumb drives) cannot be recovered this way as all the information required to format the disk is lost.

If you must try Ubuntu, run it from a CD or DVD on;ly.

Terry

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it does that then shoving it in a caddy and using a HDD manager will surely format it. Your Windows backup will be safe on another drive. You do have backups?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Inaccurate and scaremongering.

It depends upon how you install Ubuntu; whether it was a dual boot system, whether it was installed on a separate partition or drive, in fact on a whole lot of variables.

What is true, is Windows is incapable of reading native Linux file systems, but, there's nothing to stop you installing Linux on a FAT file system if you want to. You just have to accept a serious performance hit. Furthermore, you can't blame Ubuntu for Windows substandard performance. Any decent partitioning software will format the drive. Partition Magic and GParted to name but two.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

LastChip

Windows substandard performance

Not sure what you mean by that comment. Windows uses its own boot loader with which ever Windows OS . It does not need to allow for other OSs. If someone needs to dual boot or whatever then careful research should be used for both OSs.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The comment is simple - Linux can see and read Windows, but not via-versa.

Also, as I mentioned, any decent partitioning software would deal with the problem. The fact that Windows is crippled in so many ways, cannot be blamed on others.

The boot loader in this context, is irrelevant.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In what way crippled?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I could write a book on it, but I don't have enough time, so I suggest you do a Google search for "How is Windows crippled" and you'll come up with about 3.9m results.

Best of luck reading that lot ;-)

Please just accept, Windows is a proprietary system and Microsoft will do whatever they need to do to lock you in. And they're very successful at that for most people. Linux is quite the reverse.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Of course they will. They run a business don't they? Or am I missing something? Many other companies, using Microsoft's products also run business' such as CAD, Games etc.

Thought that business made the the world go round. Wonder when we'll get Farmer Linux, spreading free food around the world, that will knacker Tesco and their ilk.......

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

I use various versions of linux on computers which also have Windows. I often remove or replace Linux and have never encountered the problem you describe. Please provide full details of what you have done and seen to help others understand exactly what has happened.

Like this post
pompyx

Likes # 0

I rewrite the MBR after deleting Umbuntu, and have never had a problem.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I just use EasyBCD to reset the MBR, and then delete Ubuntu. Like pompyx, I've done it many times and have never had any bother. Takes about five minutes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)