We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ms Security Essentials - vs - AVAST & Spyware Terminator

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've bought a new PC, it already has 'Microsoft Security Essentials' installed. But on prevous systems I've always run AVAST and Spyware Terminator. If I were to run them all together I would be asking for trouble. So my question is should I keep MSE or AVAST & ST?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would add Malwarebytes to MSE. I don't know about Spyware terminator. Avast is pretty good.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

1. Only install 1 Anti virus - I use Avira but many prefer Avast or MSE so I would keep MSE and see how it goes.
    1. Anti mal ware. I like the new free Superantispyware and also have Malawarebytes for scanning for malware etc. I also have Spywareblaster as a spyware defence.I find SAS finds adaware cookies not found by other programmes.
Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I actually forgot to mention I also always used 'MalwareBytes AntiMalware' and 'Spyware Blaster'. So far it's would seem that 100% of replies favour MSE.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have similar - MSE, MBAM and Superantispyware. Had no more probs than those who pay loadsamoney for antivirus.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

All good choices

Leave MSE on it backed up with SpywareBlaster as a blocker and Malwarebytes its a good combination.

Add common sense when browsing // clicking on links then you will be pretty safe.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Cheers guys, I've uninstalled AVAST and terminted the terminator.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

If it is the pay for version of Avast that you have I would use that and remove MSE.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My personal choice would be to bin MSE and use free Avast, One off payment for SAS, run free MBAM - spywareblaster and Spybot S&D for blockers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks