We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connecting internet without wires

alibob

Likes # 0

What are these power plugs that apparently can connect a laptop or desktop to the internet, also phones without the need for wires trailing round the house. Do they exist,,? if so which are best,? & how much do they cost?.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For wifi connections a wireless adaptersimilar to these

As for internet wireless phone, another example for Skype

As for the best I don't know. So many of them.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The Homeplugs allow you to get internet acces in rooms remote from the router, or to get wireless in an area that is blanked from the router. They use the home electricity cabling and cost around 18 quid for the wired and 35 for the wireless version. I've always used Solwise link text

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have recently bought a pair of Solwise Homeplugs for about £35 from Amazon. Absolutely first class product that comes with two ethernet cables, which allowed me to connect my router to the plug upstairs and my TV to the plug downstairs.

Very easy to set up. In fact you just plug them into a nearby 13amp socket then connect your apparatus to them and they work! Highly recommended.

Like this post
alibob

Likes # 0

Thanks to those who replied to my query, interesting idea but if it means having to connect an Ethernet cable to my laptop I think I will just stick to my normal wireless system, no extra cables. At least I know a bit more about it, Thank You all.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You still need a Internet Broadband Provider and Router

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

' but if it means having to connect an Ethernet cable'

No it doesn't - as I said, you need a wired plug at the router end and can have a wireless one elsewhere.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

' but if it means having to connect an Ethernet cable'

No it doesn't - as I said, you need a wired plug at the router end and can have a wireless one elsewhere.

Like this post
jacklee15

Likes # 0

Hey I dont much about this, you can Google it and know more in detail...:)

Thanks and Regards vistaprint.co.nz

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September