We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Office Word 2007

vassos

Likes # 0

I use this facility a lot. There are a couple of documents on my list which I no longer want. Am I right in thinking there is absolutely no way to carry out a simple deletion from that list. If there is I can't locate it and would be glad for any help. Tks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

What list are you refering to?

If it is in an Explorer window highlight the file and press the delete key or right click on the file and select delete.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you are referring to the recent documents list then I don't think that there is a way to remove just one of them.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

If it is as Woolwell suggests then items from the list can be removed but it requires editing the registry.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To clear the list of recently used files in PowerPoint 2007, in Word 2007, in Excel 2007, and in Access 2007, you have to restrict the list to no entries. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start the 2007 Office program.
  2. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Program_name Options.
  3. In the left pane, click Advanced.
  4. Under Display, type 0 in the Show this number of Recent Documents box.
  5. Click OK.

After you follow these steps, a list of recently used files will not be displayed. If you want a list of recently used files to be displayed again, repeat steps 2 through 5. Then, type a number other than 0 in the Show this number of Recent Documents box.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926535 The list will be rebuilt as you open documents from this point on.

Like this post
vassos

Likes # 0

Thank you for all that. What I actually want to do is totally delete one particular file and it is important to me that I find a way to do this. But as I am not prepared to mess with the registry, it looks like I'm stuck with it. Total pain in the **

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

I'm confused!

Why can't you just go into Windows Explorer or My Computer, locate the file, click on it and hit 'delete' button?

If you then want total removal from the PC, go to Recycle bin, locate it (usually top of the list if arranged my most recent first, and delete it from there too.

Cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AroundAgain, I'm also confused now. I thought the couple of documents had been deleted and it was just the reference to them on the 'Recently Used' list in Word 2007 that vassos wanted rid of. As you can't just clear one item, I have said how to clear the list in Word 2007 in my last post, and bremner has said how to delete from list in Windows Explorer, but that doesn't seem to be what's wanted.

Maybe vassos will come back and explain more, then we can offer suggestions.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

To clear the entire list just run CCleaner. Download

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

It is true that there is no in-built procedure in Word 2007 to delete individual ebtries from the Recent Documents list as there is in Word 2010. It can be done, however, but it involves modifying the Registry so is not for the inexperienced user. The usual warnings about being very careful and backing up the Registry apply.

Close Word 2007.

Run Regedit.

Navigate to: HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\File MRU.

You will find the recent documents listed in the right pane. Right-click on a document you want to remove and click Delete. Repeat for any other documents you want to remove then close regedit. The documents will now have gone from the Recent Document List in Word.

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

It is true that there is no in-built procedure in Word 2007 to delete individual ebtries from the Recent Documents list as there is in Word 2010. It can be done, however, but it involves modifying the Registry so is not for the inexperienced user. The usual warnings about being very careful and backing up the Registry apply.

Close Word 2007.

Run Regedit.

Navigate to: HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\File MRU.

You will find the recent documents listed in the right pane. Right-click on a document you want to remove and click Delete. Repeat for any other documents you want to remove then close regedit. The documents will now have gone from the Recent Document List in Word.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...