We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building a pc, sorry i'm new

theohandley
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok hey guys, thanks for helping me out :)

I'm currently looking into making my own pc for playing a couple of games. I've never done anything with computers before, but i heard it was cheaper to make it yourself, so i've been trying to teach myself online. However, i need a bit of help finding out if my parts are compatible.. also if its a good decision to buy these parts (if there's a certain part that's too bad, or that isn't a very good choice) please tell :)

Also i'm running on a budget of around 300-350 brittish pounds, so i know it's not going to be amazing

Case - CIT 1009B ATX PC Tower Case

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 840 Socket AM3 3.2GHz 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

CPU heatsink (i didn't really know what to get) - Titan DC-K8M925B/R CPU Cooler for AMD Socket AM2+/AM2/AM3/940/939/754

RAM - Corsair 4GB Computer Memory / 1333MHz / DDR3 / 240pin DIMM / CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 / PC3-10666

Motherboard - ASUS M4A78LT-M LE - AM3 Socket - 760G - Micro ATX Chipset

PSU - http://www.weareelectricals.com/products/OCZ-700W-ModXStream-Pro-Power-Supply-UK-OCZ700MXSP%252dUK

Sound card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express - sound card

Hard Drive - Hitachi Hds721010cla332 3.5inch 1tb 32mb Sata 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive

Graphics card - Asus EN210 Silent GeForce 210 1GB DDR3 64-bit PCIe-X16 Low Profile Graphics Card HD15/DVI

I also have a couple more questions 1. Do i NEED a sound card? or will one come with the motherboard 2. Is there a less expensive option for the PSU?

If anyone could please answer these questions i'd be really greatful :D

Thankyou for your time

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

but i heard it was cheaper to make it yourself

Used to be but you cannot really beat the big manauctures especially when you are going to need a Operating system as well.

1. Your Board has VIA VT1708S Support 8-Channel High Definition Audio
  2. Never scrimp on a PSU if it blows it could take the drives and motherboard with it.
Like this post  
theohandley

Likes # 0

Thanks man :D that really helped

So if buying a fully built computer is cheaper, should i buy it from a shop or online, If so do you have any recommended websites? :)

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Novatech Take a look at these, they have a good reputation for aftersales service.

Like this post
theohandley

Likes # 0

Awesome thanks very much guys :)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

It is much more satisfying researching your components, buying them, putting your PC together,powering it on for the first time, solving any problems that come your way, so increasing your knowledge of PC's. This cannot be matched by buying an off the peg PC. But that is just my opinion.

As for your components.

Motherboard. Have you looked at the memory support list as I have found that most problems arise from incompatible RAM, whereas the list will not show every RAM module its always worth a look.

You do not need a different cooler for your CPU the stock one is fine.

As for your PSU, you do not need 700w, this one will be more than enough: PSU and its a decent one.

No you do not need a sound card. And as 'FB' said you will need to factor in a operating system. I think that £350 is a little low for a reasonable Pc but it would be useful for links to the site where you will be buying your components.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad