We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade or Build

Andycb

Likes # 0

Hey, I currently have a compaq pc with 500W psu,Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (Conroe) processor - 1.86GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 1066MHz FSB, Socket 775, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+, Leonite2 GL8E mobo and a 250GB Serial ATA (SATA-3G) hard drive - 7,200 RPM, 3.5-inch form factor.

I use the pc for gaming, it runs COD black ops ok but not fantastic so should I upgrade some of the parts or use some of the parts and build a new one.

Any help and i will be very grateful

Andy

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Your current machine is a bit behind the times now, the processor, graphics card and memory have all been superceded by improved technology. Personally I would buy a new motherboard, a better graphics card and use DDR3 memory. You could re-use the case, DVD ROM etc. maybe the power supply depending on what new graphics card you get and you might want to increase the hard drive, or just add a second one to your existing drive.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You should also consider your OS. Unless you have a 'full' - not OEM - licence replacing the motherboard may well negate its further use. If this is the case then a new PC may well be the cheaper and easier option as it should come with the OS pre-installed.

You may also wish to consider the software you have as, depending on it and your current OS, an upgrade may also inhibit its operation. XP software on W7

Like this post
Andycb

Likes # 0

I have windows vista right now, I know i'm behind the times but the pc right now seems to be able to run the latest games as I play call of duty black ops quite often so thought maybe just a few put grades here and there.

i'm on a budget aswell so a new pc is out, if i am going to build one it would be purchacing parts each month. Could I not just get a new mobo, cpu and ram, would that not help?

Like this post
Andycb

Likes # 0

also if i'm going to build a pc i was going to use all used parts so its cheaper, or is that a silly thing to do?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

i was going to use all used parts so its cheaper, or is that a silly thing to do? No that's not a silly thing to do but you do need to make sure that you have some comeback if the parts you buy are dead on arrival. How much RAM do you have? You need a minimum of 2Gb to run Vista successfully. As johndrew says you also need to look at your OS.

The cheapest option would be to do as you say and swap out the motherboard, CPU and RAM - preferably getting a motherboard to take DDR3 which is relatively cheap right now. Then sell your old motherboard with CPU and RAM or sell them separately. Keep your old hard drive with its Vista installed BUT you will be faced with two problems on boot up. One is that the drivers will be different for the new motherboar and you will need to repair the Vista installation Click Here to fix it and for that you will need access to a Vista CD. And you will almost certainly need to re-activate Vista by phone as so much of the basic installation has changed. When you talk to Microsoft on the phone you will need to convince them that you do not have the same copy of Vista installed on 2 machines, I have always found them pretty good about it.

You will still of course have the bottleneck of your existing graphics card which is a mid range card by today's standards, so later you might think about upgrading that too.

Like this post
Andycb

Likes # 0

i have 2gb ram right now and vista runs fine. I am thinking in going for one of those motherboard bundles with the cpu and ram with it. what you think?

also could i get any bundle or does the graphics car only fix spacific sockets?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Novatech bundles are among the most recommended on this forum

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Please invest in a spell check,as to your graphics card question most if not all modern motherboards,whether they are in a bundle or not will have a PCI-E slot for the graphics card, so get whatever bundle you want.

If unsure post a link to the bundle you propose to buy.

In my opinion it is cheaper to buy the components separately than as a bundle. A quick price check shows that this bundle:Novatech can be had if bought separately for nearly a £100 cheaper. So pick your bundle then look around for the same components which you know will be compatible but will be probably cheaper.

Like this post
Andycb

Likes # 0

sorry for spelling,

right i had a look at some bundles then searched for components from them and came up with this, let me know what you think

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 255 3.10GHz (Socket AM3) Processor £ 37.20

Asus M4A78LT-M LE AMD 760G (Socket AM3) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard £ 34.73

4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 £ 19.70

Total £118.30 inc VAT

or the bundle

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/motherboardbundles/Novatech/MBB-2554GN.html £112.99

what you guys think, is that a big improvment to my pc, that is around the budget i have aswell.

thanks again

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You have selected a slower CPU I'm afraid to say: have a look here: E6300 and 27 places below that is your new CPU. Could you tell me your budget? I will have a look for your you and post some advice for components here.

Looking at your existing components, your PSU is probably OK, harddrive ,though a little small is fine, you can always add a bigger one later. Definitely need a new case but that's not expensive. You will have a DVD drive. Your graphics card is very old so that will definitely need to be upgraded and I am assuming that you have XP which will do for now.

So what you need is CPU,motherboard, the one you have selected is fine as is your RAM, and a graphics card. So post your budget and I will see what I can find.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad