We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up a disk for Ubuntu

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

This will be No 5 disk I set up for Unbuntu 10.10 It is a SATA disk which I written before.

I have got to the point that that Ubuntu DVD load and looks at the disk. It see's that I have partitioned it 50/150GB

On 'Forward it eports
'No Root File System defined -- Correct this in Partition Menu. Back to partition menu D/SP Select SDA[Fat32]- is that correct?

Then comes a list under Use AS with a selection - Selected FAT32 - correct? Then select mount point DOS or Windows -selected both in turn in subsequent tries. Then Format

Then next choice Device for Boot loader and the choices are Disk Maxtor203GB[it does not mention the partition- the whole disk

or /dev/SDA1

tried both again

But still the No Root File is defined.

What did I miss?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When you setup Linux, Its better if there is no Partitions as Linux Will set it up. when you start with the CD just select Install

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS jack you may find that with Sata you still need to load drivers the the Hard Drive before trying to load anything on it. This you do by coping the Drivers from a Floppy to the Hard Drive

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thanks for that one Woody. Duck out the SATA/RAID floppy Reset BIOIS to Boot from Floopy Go - NON SYSTEM DUSK So how do you get a driver in to a harddrive that has no system yet -

Its a chicken and Egg game if you ask me.

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

Hi, You have to create unpartitioned space by deleting a partition or use the whole disk before you can install Ubuntu.You can use g-parted on the live cd to do this.The partition will be formated in ext3. see http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-10-10-160966.shtml

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

You've not told the system which partition is root.

If you're manually partitioning, you must tell the system what a partition is to be used for. The system wont assume anything (other than if you're using an auto-installer and don't want to configure anything). It's there to do your bidding, but it can't do that if you don't give it instructions.

The link I gave you on your last thread on this subject explains it, where you use the box marked "mount point" to specify the partitions use. The absolute minimum you can have is root, signified by a single forward slash; / You can also specify others if you wish, most common-ally; boot, swap, and home. But there are any amount of variations including specifying your own mount points for specific reasons. Say for example, you wanted a backup partition, you could manually specify a partition; /backup - note the forward slash, as everything starts from root (/). For example: /boot /home /etc /var /usr and so on.

This is the nice thing about Linux; It's infinitely configurable, but, the cost is a learning curve and all credit to you for trying to learn.

Incidentally, generally, you will not need to load any drivers for sata drives. Linux is more than capable in most cases of finding the drive, as it's considered to be a scsi dive, and Linux was born originally, to live in servers and amongst scsi equipment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more