We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no windows disc

toniclady

Likes # 0

my grandson has bought a 2nd hand laptop but it needs formatting, there was no windows disc with it.....does he have to buy a new windows disc? or can i use the 1 i got with my pc and use my product key ....thnx

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

He may be able to reset to factory settings using the appropriate function key/s. If you let us know the make and model of the laptop, someone should be able to advise you which keys.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

You can use yours and his product key(if it is the same version) but will not have any of the drivers as suggested there might be a restore factory setting option which will format and leave it as it came out of the box.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

No you cannot use another disc and key because they will already be registered to your system,

You do not say why it requirs formating ?

As long as the restore has not been deleated you should be able to restore to factory settings, Look in help and support on the Laptop, from the start menu. this will have all the information you need. As most people dont bother to make a set of discs when they get a new one, if they did not you may still have the option to burn a set yourself, this can only be done once and normally need upto 3 blanc DVD You can also in many systems obtain a set of recovery discs ( which include the OS)from the makers, they will require the make,model,serial number at a small cost

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Crossed with Strawballs posting toniclady was asking to use his disc and his key

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I know that's why I said your disc and his product key. I would also assume that Toniclady is a she.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Toniclady Download Product key reveal from hereand run on your grandsons machine.Then install Windows from your disc using the revealed product key. This assumes both versions of windows are the same. You may have to go through the automated authentication process with Microsoft after the installation,which requires you to follow instructions and key a lot of numbers in to your phone

Like this post
toniclady

Likes # 0

he is on vista and mine is xp, i have found his product key underneath the laptop.....it needs formatting as the laptop was bought 2nd hand and has a load of rubbish on it, its very slow and he has got google chrome, firefox and internet explorer 8 on which are all conflicting each other......if can tell me how to reset it to factory settings, that might be better.....its a hp G6000 notebook pc .....and yes i am a woman

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Recovery process click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...