We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Network Security Key - How to show charactors

John-P
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone could tell me please how I can see the password characters?

The network security key currently shows in black dots and the tick box to show the characters is grayed out so I cant tick it to see the characters.

I am connected to the internet, but would like to connect another device and cant remember this password.

Why cant I tick this box to see the characters as im on an administrator account.

Thanks, John.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You may be able to get the key. You will need to log onto the router using a wired connection - that is, connect an ethernet cable from your computer to one of the ports on the router. Then log into the router by opening internet explorer and entering http://192.168.1.1 on the address line (assuming you didn't change the router's IP address. ) When you get the login screen, leave the username blank and enter "admin" for the password (again assuming you didn't change the password).

Now you have access to the setup program and should be able to see the key if it is displayed. However, it is possible that the key is displayed as *, in which case you will need to provide a new key.

Go to the Wireless menu then go to security and create a new password.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Note: this will only work on a computer that's currently connected to your wireless network. The following is from a Win7 PC; Vista will be very similar, though

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center Click on "manage wireless networks" in the left pane; the list of all wireless networks that you've connected to will be shown. Locate your wireless network in the list. Right-click it > Properties. Click the Security tab. Check the "show characters" box, and Windows will display the network key (as well as the security type & encryption type.) {For security reasons, you cannot display the key to a network you're not currently connected to.}

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Display all the wireless network keys that are stored on the computer, including the Network Name, Key Type, e.g. WEP, Wireless Key and Adapter Name. Read about it and then download WirelessKeyView 32-bit or 64-bit. Just unzip it (expand it), it doesn’t need installing, link text

Like this post  
John-P

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for both for your help. BurrWalnut, that's exactly what I needed thank you, very quick and easy solution thats great thanks for your help.

John.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback