We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up router for my old dad

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

My 96-year-old father uses a very elderly XP computer, which is painfully slow and clunky, and the optical drive has failed. He connects to his ISP (Tiscali/Talk Talk) using a cheap old Tiscali modem.

I have an old (but not nearly as old as his) XP desktop, together with a Belkin 54G router that I recently made redundant by changing to a BT Home Hub. So I'm going to pass my old kit on to my dad. I've done a reformat and clean reinstall of Windows XP on the computer.

That's the background. My question relates to the installation of my Belkin router for my dad. I previously used the router to connect to my Tiscali account, and he will be connecting to the same ISP. However, I'm pretty hazy about what procedure I will have to follow, in order to set up the router on his broadband connection.

It'll be an ethernet connection, so there's no wi-fi involved, but could someone please talk me through the changes that I'll have to make on the computer and on the router?

Many thanks for any advice.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

^

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I previously used the router to connect to my Tiscali account, and he will be connecting to the same ISP."

If that's the case, it should only be necessary to change the Username and Password in the router settings. Nothing needs to be done in the PC as it will get its internet access over the Network from the router.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As previously stated, it should be a simple case of changing the password and username, and possibly the account details.

If you are not to sure, then Tiscali/TalkTalk support will talk you through it. I found them very helpful, when my router was disconnecting, and I was unable to locate the reason. You could also check the TalkTalk support and question- answer pages on the internet, on how to set-up a router/modem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for your answers. I was certainly hoping that, as the router previously connected to Tiscali, there would be minimal changes required.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - that's such a useful link, thank you! I don't know why I didn't find it myself, when I looked at TT's support website.

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Just in case anyone else is interested, I thought I would report back on this topic.

As mgmcc and spuds said, setting up the router for my dad was a doddle. As it had previously been used to access Tiscali, it was simply a matter of opening the router's control panel and changing the username and password. Job done.

Again in case anyone needs it, the IP address for the Belkin router is 192.168.2.1

Thanks again for your help, everyone.

Like this post
sheraz.civnom

Likes # 0

Change user name and password will work fine and if you were using static IP address on your router you will alos need to change it for DHCP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination