We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC hard drive running constantly

DAKAR
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All My other halfs PC running Vista seems to have its Hard disc running continously and it is very noisy and annoying as the disc seems to slow down and then speed up all the time she has the PC on. She does do a lot of Family History on this machine and I wondered if that could be contributing to the running of the disc. Any advice as to what can possibly be done will be great Regards Dakar

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

maybe have a look in the Task Manager and see if anything running in Processes and CPU.

System Idle process should be showing about 97% if nothing running ,That is normal.Let us know if anything else using up the CPU.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I don't suppose she has a CD stuck in one of her drives.

I must admit I have a fairly newish computer and you would not know it was turned on except for the clicking of the hard drive

I often try Task Manager thinking there must be something running but nothing is ever found under CPU.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

HDDs do run all the time, and at a constant speed. More likely to be a fan, I would have thought. Take the side off and check for dust on the CPU heat sink - if clogged, the fan will speed up frequently to try to cool the CPU down when it's working hard. Compressed air is the best bet, but stop the fan turning while blasting that area.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi buteman and onthelimit1 Found everything normal with processes and cpu,so removed cover and found heaps of dust inside,so hoovered all out and everything seems to work fine again. A very big thankyou from the OH to both of you. Thanks from me for such good advice and speedy response as usual Kindest regards Dakar

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite