We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

back up software

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi, Whats the 'easiest to use' back-up software? I would like to back up my entire hard drive (its only 160gig). It would be handy to back up on the fly, eg music and photos, but mainly to help in case of system crash. My pc is 9 yrs old, although 4 yrs ago practically everything was replaced when the power supply destroyed most components. It runs XP,IE8,SP3. Thanks, Tony

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Acronis True image is very good but i use windows backup myself on Windows 7

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Never ever used this before and not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for but it is free for the next 24 hours or so.

http://www.mytechguide.org/10097/wondeshare-liveboot-2012-giveaway-promotion/?utmsource=feedburner&utmmedium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MyTechnologyGuide+%28My+Technology+Guide%29

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Karakorum

Likes # 0

Try 'Easeus ToDo.' It's as good as Acronis but FREE.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/download.htm

They also make an excellent free Partition Manager called 'Partition Master'

One thing to mention - If you make a backup with ToDo, you can then make a ToDo Recovery disk - so that you can make a broken system boot (by Linux) - so that you can locate and point Easeus towards where you kept the recovery data that you want it to restore. Just make sure that if you upgrade the ToDo program in the meantime, that you also make a new recovery disk with the upgraded program. When I first used it I tried to recover a version 2.0 backup using a version 1 Recovery Disk and it didn't work. It wasn't till I had laboriously reinstalled the whole of Windows Vista from scratch that I later cottoned on to WHY it hadn't worked.

You can use it for Windows as well as any other partition you keep your files on, though personally I only use it for the Windows system on drive C:

My other files on drive D: I backup by using the free 'Karen's Replicator'.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

No particular reason, just that I've used it for years and like it.

N.B. You can reduce the size of your Windows drive backup quite a bit if you first delete any System Restore points and also set the 'Paging File' (virtual memory) size to zero.

Just type a reminder note on the description part of the backup process so you remember to switch them on again after you have later restored the backup.

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Thanks guys for all your assistance. I do have a copy of Acronis somewhere, but i just can't find it.Its a couple of years old now. I checked it out on Amazon, and some people are having grief with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback