We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading my Dell Dimension 3100 for video playing.

B.J.

Likes # 0

Jerky video. I record some video on my new EOS500d and it looks OK on the camera and its perfect on my wife's new laptop,but very jerky on my desktop PC, so I now know that it's my desktop PC that is causing the problem. I have a Dell Dimension 3100. I run XP with Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80 GHz and 1.99 GB RAM. Do I need even more RAM ? There are no games on my PC and the hard disc is much less than half full.How can I update my Dell to make it handle video from my Canon EOS 500d ? Thanks B.J.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Sounds as if the computer graphics aren't man enough for the job. Have you tried to upgrade the video drivers?

The best option would be to add a video card. Unfortunately this is where I find conflicting information, one web site says that the Dell Dimension 3100 motherboard comes with only on board graphics and does not have either an AGP or PCI-e slot,and another web site says it has a PCI-e slot free.

Open it up and have a look, if there's a spare PCI-e slot (Google images to see what one looks like) buy a graphics card with 256/512 Mb of RAM and fit it - that will solve your problem.

If however it doesn't have a PCI-e slot, the only real solution is to buy a new pc.

Like this post
B.J.

Likes # 0

Thanks Seadog. When I get chance I'll have a look for a spare slot.So you think the CPU and the RAM is OK ? B.J.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

I would certainly think so, and don't spend too much on a graphics card. The best bet would be to try and borrow one to try before you buy if you see what I mean.

My son uses an old Dell gx280 with a 2.8 cpu and 1gig of ram with only 128 Mb video RAM and it plays everything he can throw at it graphis-wise.

Like this post
B.J.

Likes # 0

Thanks Seadog. I'm trying to find out if the Asus 5450 1gb graphics card is compatible with my Dell I have a spare expansion slot next to the sound card so I am assuming it's a standard PCI it looks exactly like the sound card slot. B.J.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Be Careful! After a quick look at the Asus 5450 graphics card it is listed as a PCI-e card. There is quite a difference between the old standard PCI and the more modern PCI-e, they are not the same/compatible, one web site I looked at said that the 3100 motherboard only had PCI slots.

The old standard PCI graphics card are as rare as hens teeth these days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home