We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A couple of questions, please

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, I have two questions which some may consider time wasting, for which I apologise. The first question concerns the difference between a “differential” backup and an “incremental” backup – what is the difference? I thought I had worked it out a couple of times but then see something else, and I am back at square one. Initially I thought they were the same thing by different names – now I am confused and I am hoping someone will be able to give a definitive answer!! The second question concerns Acronis True Image; I had thought I had seen it somewhere for free, but if I did I can not now find it! Can someone, please, put me out of my misery and tell me if it can be obtained for free and, if so, from where. Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

A differential backup backs up all changes since the last full back up.

An incremental backup backs up all changes since the last back up, whether the last back up was full or incremental

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

bremner

Thank you, I now see the difference between these.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Every now and again I have to think hard as to the difference between differential and incremental despite using them both in the past, though I now do Full backups of my data. I also use Allway Sync to keep a separate backup, this updates just the file that you have worked upon without adding to the overall size of the backup.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

compumac,

Good evening!,

Just being nosey, but you say you do full backups, might I ask with what? and how? And what is Allway Sync?

As I said just being nosey, but I would like to know best, and preferably free, programmes for backing up. Many thanks for your reply, anything else you can give will be very much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes