We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop wont start after sp1 update - Please help

John-P

Likes # 0

Hi there, A friends laptop which has had the windows update feature turned off for the past two years. I turned on windows update and it installed lots of updates which worked fine. It then prompted to install sp1 update which has now caused the laptop to not be able to boot up. It starts up but not fully, it comes to a screen where the are two options 1) repair start up - which goes to a techguys screen and it says it cannot fix the problem, and if I try the system restore it only finds one restore point which is prior to the sp1 update but it will not restore it says the restore fails. 2) The second option says start windows normally, which loads onto a grey screen and hangs. I'm not really sure what to do, as I cant even start windows in safe mode as it hangs. I don't have the vista cd and im not sure what I can do so if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Many thanks in advance. John

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

reboot keep tapping F8 or F5 to get to advance tools and select startup repair

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for your reply, as described the start up repair doesn't work as it doesn't find a problem I have tried a few times.

If I try to boot normally it hangs

If I try to boot in safe mode in hangs

Repair finds nothing

System Restore hangs at "finalizing"

I have got hold of a restore disc, that doesnt help fix it either

Im really stuck here and not sure what i can do, I cant even access my files/photos to save them to an external drive as I cant access windows what so ever.

Can anyone help please, thanks John :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its always worth running start up repair a few times before it finds and repairs the problem or before you go furter.

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for the replies, I ran startup repair a number of times, probably about 10 times in total but unfortunately I couldn't get it to do anything.

I dropped it off at the computer repair shop this morning so fingers crossed they have more luck (and knowledge) than me.

Thanks for those who tried to help me though, I appreciate your time. Ill update this when I get it back in a few days.

John

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'