We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows wont start up please help

AndrewKate

Likes # 0

hello there i hope someone on here can help me I have a acer aspire 5920g laptop with 250 hdd and 4gig ddr ram, i left my laptop downloading some samples of instruments as i do audio production on my laptop. when i woke up in the morning my laptop was unresponsive to everything i did so had no choice but to switch off and restart but when i did the screen came up saying windows did not shut down properly please select either restart in safe mode or start normally. i started normally and then it wouldn't go past a black screen, so i restarted again and got a message saying windows did not start properly so was shut down to prevent harm to my compute, this was on a blue screen. so after hours of trawling through various website on my other laptop i have tried to do a system reboot, but now am stuck with with the acer background and 2 command screens which have been on for over 2 hours, one says update device driver please wait and the window has at the top C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, and the second says nothing but has at the top C:\Ati\Bin\ATISETUP.EXE.

i have tried safe mode to but that freezes at crcdisk.sys.

Please can someone help Thanks Dave

Like this post
AndrewKate

Likes # 0

also just done a chkdsk check and got a message saying chkdsk discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

i dont know if this helps

Like this post
AndrewKate

Likes # 0

and also insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap chkdsk aborted

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

TRy

Last Known Good Configuration from the menu

Like this post
AndrewKate

Likes # 0

cheers for the reply but unfortunately i have tried that also

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Vista or W7

Reboot tap F8 or F5 to get to Advanced tools and select startup repair from the menu

Like this post
AndrewKate

Likes # 0

cheers but i have tried that to and it still doesnt start up

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

AndrewKate:

Sounds like a graphics driver problem. This might help:

ATI driver

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I had similar on an acer I had, I sorted it by downloading the Hitachi Fitness tester for hard drive Fitness Test and then burn the ISO file to disc using burning software that will burn from ISO file and then boot from this if the drive has corrupt boot sector it will find it and repair it.

Like this post
AndrewKate

Likes # 0

after several attempts at system recovery i think it might be working as now i am at the screen to set up a new account on windows and its checking the performance of my laptop, fingers crossed! and now have just logged in!!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good