We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem replacing Vista with Windows 7.

Beetlecrusher

Likes # 0

I have a Medion laptop which is approximately 4 years old running Vista. I have purchased a genuine copy of Windows 7 but when I try to install it on either the boot or recovery partition, it does not allow me to continue because the drive is not NTFS. How do I overcome this problem ? Any advice gratefully received.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The upgrade path from Vista to Windows 7 can be frought with difficulties why not back up all your data to an external hard drive then follow the clean install proceedure detailed here

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Cheers HC

Like this post
Beetlecrusher

Likes # 0

Thank you for the link which I have read. Unlike the screenshots in the tutorial, the partitions on my laptop are Boot and Recovery. If I delete these two, should I then be able to do a clean install without the warning about NTFS appearing ?

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Vista should already be NTFS,as far as i know i wouid not install on a anything but a NTFS formatted drive.But if you have the full disk of win 7 and do a clean install,then it formats the drive to NTFS automatically so it should work.If you delete the 2 partions you have now then your pc would not work at all until a new OS was installed,as you would be deleting your vista OS.It also may be that the drive is locked to the maker,Medion in your case,some companies do this so they get repeat custom,its a long shot but i have known it happen that you need to buy a new HDD to install a new OS on.You wont know till you try a fresh instal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks