We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fault with HP Deskjet F4180 printer

Splodge

Likes # 0

I bought this old workhorse in October 2007 and it has served me well. But, for some reason it has begun to ask for re-installation every time I switch the computer on. Nor will it allow me to use the scanner.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the program and have gone to the HP site which will not give support out of warranty! Driver Genius does not identify any update.

Yes, I know it is time to purchase a new one but (and it is a BIG but speaking as a pensioner) I have 2 new cartridges installed and four new ones in reserve.

If I have to I will bite the bullet but perhaps someone has encountered a similar problem and has the solution.

Help please!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Uninstall

Disconnect printer from USB?

clean the registry with something like CCleaner's registry tool (very safe)

reboot

reinstall sofware

reconnect printer

Like this post
Splodge

Likes # 0

Well I spent the afternoon on it but I cannot overcome the problem.

It was so cheap I just wonder if it shuts down some of the features after so long!

You can select the copy destination (say, the desktop) and it shows that OK but when the copy button is pressed that destination does not display, and yes, I tried others.

So, I am going to stay with it for printing and use my other computer with the newer printer for scanning ... thank heavens for USB sticks!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Standard uninstall does not work on HP software - it leaves too much dross behind.

You need to do a Level 3 (or Level 4, which is more comprehensive) uninstall.

Insert your HP disc but do not run it, navigate to "L3 uninstall", I think it's in the "Utils" folder and run it.

Restart, manually remove any HP stuff you can still find (but not if it's an HP computer of course!), restart again.

Reinstall, though you might like to get updated software from here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=gb&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3177566&

You may need to do this more than once, set aside an evening or half a day.

Like this post
Splodge

Likes # 0

Thanks!

For the present I have installed both printers on just the XP computer to use them for their respective functions.

That works!! phew.

The Windows 7 has just the one, later printer, installed fot the present.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Remember, you don't need the HP software for normal basic printing.

Just uninstall the printer (in device manager, not the HP software) reboot and let Windows find the latest printer drivers.

You only need the HP software for extra stuff like scanning.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Have you tried a full reset? Un-plug from mains. Hold down the # and 6 keys together while switching back on. When it indicates full reset-release the keys. You will have to reset the country. Partial reset is # and 3. Works on my 7 year old 900 series. Worth a try.

Like this post
Splodge

Likes # 0

Morddwyd:-

If I uninstall the F4180 printer I imagine the computer will revert to the other installed printer.

muddypaws:-

Your solution frightens me to be honest!

As it now stands, my old printer will print and my new one will scan.

When I get down to one complete (unused) cartridge of each colour, on the old printer, I will sell it locally for a tenner! Some learner will welcome it.

Can't complain, I have had massive results from it over the years.

Thanks for all your suggestions people.

But thanks everyone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'