We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Mail Problem

Iceman244

Likes # 0

I have a laptop with windows 7. For some time I have been using Windows Live Mail as my email. Both my Hotmail and Orange email accounts are linked to Windows Live Mail. So when I wanted to check my email I simply went to the start menu and clicked the Windows Live Icon. Then my email program loaded etc. When I started my laptop today it said an update was available for Windows Essentials. So I installed the update and restarted my laptop. The problem I now have is that the Windows Live icon has disappeared from the start menu and I don’t know how to get it back. Therefore I can’t check my emails. Can anyone help with this?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"The problem I now have is that the Windows Live icon has disappeared from the start menu and I don’t know how to get it back"

Left click on the Start button and immediately type live. If Windows Live Mail is still installed then it'll appear in the Programs list at the top. If you find it then right-click on it and choose "Pin to Start Menu" - that'll help stop it from going missing again.

Like this post
Iceman244

Likes # 0

I have done that but Windows Live Mail does not appear in programs at the top. All that appears is: Windows Live photo-gallery Windows Live Mesh Windows Live Family Safety

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

OK try this - click the Start button again, click on "Run", type wlmail then hit OK - does the program open or do you get a message saying it couldn't be found?

NOTE: If you don't have a Run option under Start then you can launch it by holding down the Windows key and pressing R.

Like this post
Iceman244

Likes # 0

Yes that worked and my Windows Live Mail loaded so I could check my email.

So do you know how I add the icon to my start menu so that I don’t have to do that every time?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

OK, that's encouraging news.

Click the Start button then click Computer. Double-click the icon for your C: drive and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Live\Mail

Locate the icon called wlmail (or it may be called wlmail.exe), right-click and choose "Pin to Start Menu".

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Iceman244

Go to Windows explorer, Programme Files\Windows Live and look forMail and then wlmail.exe. Right click it and then Pin to Start Menu.

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Not quick enough!!

TonyV

Like this post
Iceman244

Likes # 0

Thank you everyone. I put wlmail into search and it appeared in the programs list. Then I pinned it to start menu. All sorted. Thanks again.

Like this post
caris

Likes # 0

:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014