We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CRC Mismatch Errors

sorceror7374

Likes # 0

I'm running XP (SP3) 32 bit fully updated on AMD Phenom QuadCore system with 4GB RAM. The Mobo bundle is only a few months old and my drives are 2.5 years old. After installing the new Mobo bundle and reinstalling a fresh copy of XP I found that my downloads (RAR files) were giving me CRC mismatch errors but the resulting file was still usable ie. videos played fine, no data was missing from text files and such. On running checksums I was receiving the same errors as well. None of this was occurring before the change of Mobo bundle, but I've tested the RAM and received no errors and ran chkdsk on most partitions including the boot partition and it came up with no bad sectors. Another thing of note is that my ISP router kept dropping the signal once I made the switch, but it has been fine ever since as I reinstalled the firmware on it. I've tried re-downloading the bad RAR pieces and ran more checksums and then other pieces would show errors that didn't the first time around.

Any ideas what could be causing these errors?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

CRC is also known as a checksum. The archive has an expected checksum value stored in the file and the RAR decompresser calculates the value from the complete file. If the two values are not identical you get the above error. What that means is that something went wrong during the transfer and at least one of your rar files is defective and needs to be downloaded again.

I would look again at your router.Installing the Windows Installer update may also help. The Windows Installer update can be downloaded from Microsoft's Website Micro inst You might also want to check that NetBIOS has access to the internet.

Like this post
sorceror7374

Likes # 0

As my XP is SP3, Windows installer is already up to date according to the download page. I have no idea how the check the status of NetBIOS.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Go to Start->Control Panel->Network Connections.

Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.

Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

Next, click the Advanced button, then choose the WINS tab within the next window that appears.

Now, in the "NetBIOS setting" section select the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" option.

To finish, click OK three times to close all windows. You may have to reboot for the change to take effect

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more