We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot-up Problem

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend of mine has just phoned with a problem. Trying to start her computer, she gets a black screen with a small window saying something like file DLLsforkernel is corrupt or missing and that windows can’t load. The computer will not load in safe mode either so there’s little that I can think of to overcome the problem. By the way there’s no individual windows disk and possibly only a rescue disk that if used will loose everything on the hard drive, which has not been backed-up. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Abel

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The computer will not load in safe mode either so there’s little that I can think of to overcome the problem

If Last known good configuration won't work either then your going to need a XP CD. Either for a repair install or an attempt through recovery console to restore.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /O! Does the XP CD have to be the Home edition with the same serial number, or can it be any XP CD, mine for example is XP Professional?

Abel

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

There should be a COA sticker on the side of the computer with the keycode and what version is installed.

If it says XP Home then that is what you have to use.

Any XP home CD will do and just add the keycode that is on the COA sticker.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you can't borrow one, they are available from ebay.

E.g. here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why not download Ubuntu and create a boot Live CD with the download, with this you can boot into Linux with the CD without loading it to the Hard Drive then get all files of the main hard drive to a External Drive. After reboot with the Computer Restore CD. to clear the problem. Create the Boot disc using the lowest speed you can use

Click Hear

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

By booting using this method it allows you to see the files on the hard drive that will not boot. You will need to do this if she is not tech savy

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your contributions especially buteman who came up with the simplest solution. Thanks also to woodchip. However, my friend is a vertual Ludite, and while she'll probably be able to cope with a repair using the XP CD, she certainly wouldn't be able to cope with your suggestion. The real problem is that I'm in Devon and she's in Surrey.

Abel

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...