We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

way to tell if fan is working

liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi, I am running XP home, How can I tell for sure if my fan is working other than take it to a shop.....Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Listen carefully close to PC for whirring noise, hold hand over outer grills on PC to see if you can feel any air movement. Is PC working ok i.e. not suddenly cutting out for no apparent reason?

Can you open side of PC to look at fan(s), see if spinning?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

there is more than one fan, big one at the back top on a desktop this is easy to test. put your hand over the top back to feel for air coming out other fans you need to take the left side of tower to check by sight cpu and or graphics and motherboard chipset fan

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi, I should have said this is a laptop, I don't feel confident enough to look inside, however, yes it is cutting out a lot to the point that I did a format on the disk. Thia haa had no effect at all. The laptop is getting quite hot at the side and in the middle underneath. However sometimes it will go on for an hour or more, then cut out a lot, then go again for an hour????

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi, I should have said this is a laptop, I don't feel confident enough to look inside, however, yes it is cutting out a lot to the point that I did a format on the disk. Thia haa had no effect at all. The laptop is getting quite hot at the side and in the middle underneath. However sometimes it will go on for an hour or more, then cut out a lot, then go again for an hour????

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

The laptop is overheating, no amount of formatting will make any difference to that.

You should get someone confident enough to give it a good clean-out, perhaps even take it to a local PC shop.

In the meantime, check any outer grills to make sure they are not clogged with dust etc, and only use the laptop on a solid surface like a table, never use it on your lap or on a bed or carpet.

It is also possible to buy a laptop cooler tray, there are various types, some even have their own fans to help keep the laptop cool.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

liloldlady, you definitely have most of the symptoms of a laptop that's overheating but it's this bit of your post that puzzles me:

"However sometimes it will go on for an hour or more, then cut out a lot, then go again for an hour????"

If the laptop was on for an hour and it turned itself off due to overheating, then on restart, I'd expect it to only run for a few minutes rather that another whole hour.

You may be able to tell if the internal temperatures are too high using a free and easy-to-use utility called "HWMonitor" - click HERE.

The download links are on the top-right of the page. If you want to install it then use the "setup" version. If you prefer not to install it then download, extract and run the "no installation" version that's appropriate for your system.

Keep an eye on the temperatures and report back what the maximum values are.

Note that on some computers HWMonitor isn't always able to read the temperatures from the on-board sensors - it's certainly worth trying though.

If we discover you do have an overheating problem then a blast of compressed air into the cooling vents is another way to resolve this - post back for full instructions if you need more help with this.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It more so as we are having hotter weather, but as above it needs taking in bit to clean the CPU Heatsink this will have dust build up round it that is like felt and cannot be shifted in any other way than taking it in bits. reason is using the laptop on soft carpets and beds

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi, I am nowm using the monitor, will it flash ir something if it gets too hot?.....Thanks....

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Maximum values are 78% showing 69 and 69%

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"will it flash ir something if it gets too hot?....."

No, it's not clever enough to notify you if things are getting too hot.

"Maximum values are 78% showing 69 and 69%"

I'm assuming those percentage signs are a typo. But just to clarify things, keep looking at the temperatures and let us know the maximum values just before it switches off. Also make a note of the name of the temperature sensors with the highest values (in the far-left column). That'll help us determine which part of your laptop is getting too hot.

If HWmonitor isn't showing any temperatures then you're one of the unlucky ones where HWmonitor is unable to read from the laptop's on-board temperature sensors so you may as well abandon using it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks