We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP Free Anti Virus

spag001

Likes # 0

Can somebody please advise of a good free anti virus and malware download for Windows XP Media (32 bir) which will not in the process of downloading kill my PC. I have had some trouble with this lately?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What previous antivirus did you have and did you use a removal tool?

Like this post
spag001

Likes # 0

I used a download from PC Tools called Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus which I paid for. After having installed it, my PC froze. My local computer shop removed it from the PC and this freed everything up? I have not a problem with them for the last 4 years and do not want to use them again for fear of the same thinh happening?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast here anti virus also contains anti malware

Back it up with SpywareBlaster Here as a blocker

MAlwareButes here scan weekly as a backup to check the others

However the best is common sense where your browsering and not clicking on links on site or e-mails unless your sure they are safe :0)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FruitBat - I am pleased to say I am on the same prescription on my xp computer. Very reassuring. HB

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

this may sound stupid, but i was working on a company pc, they had AVG installed, spybot S&D and McAfee something, norton internet security. not all running at the same time, put they were all used weekly for a scan. none of them picked up anything. i put on MSE ( MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS ) it found 5 viruses. Spybot or anything else wasnt the wiser.

Also, MSE is very light on a pc, i have it running on a netbook, no performance difference, 1.6ghz and 512mb ram.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

WOT is good click here and sorts out dodgy sites. It may at times show a site as bad when in fact its good, but over all I find it reassuring.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I have MS Security Essentials on this 7yr old PC running XP Pro SP3 I have found it very good.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I had MSE on my Daughters computer and it kept coming up with Trojan warnings.

Found out it was because I had Automatic update switched off and I had unticked do not show warnings on Taskbar.

And because MSE was showing them as Trojans in quarantine Malwarebytes also picked it up as well But shows it as Microsoft updates switched of in quarantine.

I would put MSE in the bottom half of good anti virus programs, but as long as you have a really good Anti Malware program downloaded it should not matter.

I would however think of using the Pro Version of Malwarebytes as it is a one off payment unlike some of the others.

You get a fortnights free trial of the Pro version of MalwareBytes now so worth a try to see how you like it.

It reverts to the free version after the fortnight.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use Avira (free anti virus), PC Tools free fiewall, Superantispyware (SAS) and Malawarebytes(MBAM) as anti malware and Spywareblaster to try to block malware.The new SASsems very good and finds tracking cookies missed by MBAM

Like this post
Mike_tech

Likes # 0

I also use Avira free edition, easy to use and reliable antivirus software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes