We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best free backup software?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I run Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've just bought a new Samsung external HDD for backups. Nothing wrong with the drive but the backup software it comes with is rubbish.

Can anyone please recommend (from personal experience) a good freeware backup program? I want to be able to schedule backups of all my data files, and ideally then to have the external drive sync automatically with file modifications/updates.

If the software also allows be to image the entire system from time to time, so much the better.

Or am I asking too much for freeware?

By the way, I don't want to use W7's own backup system - I've had trouble with it and I don't trust it.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For data - not programmes - either Freefilesynch or Synchtoy would do what you want. I make a mirror image of all "My Documents" ie Word, photos, music and Outlook on to a second HD and to a USB HD. I prefer Acronis (paid for) for imaging and cloning the System partition - I keep a partition for system, programmes, and another for data. I have W7 Ultimate 64 bit.Google to get links and info. I slightly prefer Freefilesynch but both do a good job.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I agree with 7's backup will cause trouble if you use other backup software but that is the same with any backup software. Only use one and that's it. Trouble is I think it's worth paying for backup software as the information stored is usually important. Most on here would recommend Acronis. I use Paragon HDD manager.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks to you both. I'll check out those recommendations.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I use w7 own image software, used it twice so far to restore its excellent and fast. no need for 3rd party software with w7

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks sunnystaines. Up until last week I would have agreed with you (although I've never used it to restore from), but it's given me a number of problems recently.

I suppose I've just lost confidence in it.

Like this post
acein1

Likes # 0

there,s nothing wrong with windows 7 backup,ive used it to restore also, why pay when you get it free,go for it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-backup-program

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

Personally I mostly make Macrium Reflect Free images now to ext hdd. Every couple of days, takes 40 mins for 40GB for me. Computer is usable while running.

If I just need to restore some files, I mount the image.

EASEUS Todo v1.1 is my 2nd choice. Don't like Easeus v2.5

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

Like robinofloxley, I use Macrium Free for complete disc backups, but once a week. Foe the rest I've been using Comodo's backup program, the latest beta is very good.

c

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, I'm going to work my way through those suggestions and have a look at the various options. No point in keeping the thread open, as that could take me several days (lots of other stuff to do, too!).

But I will report back on what I've chosen, just in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks very much to everyone for your helpful comments and suggestions.

Like this post  
Bailifei

Likes # 0

i've been using todo backup freeware for a long time. it offers full, incremental, and differential backup. i usually set up a daily backup schedule, and save three versions of the images, which means that the software automatically delete the old images. a specific file can also be restored in Windows explorer from a folder or partition backup image. the one click system backup feature is especially easy to use. anyway, todo backup free is quite good as a freeware.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more