We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics card upgrading help

davehes

Likes # 0

Hi, I am new to customising pc's and help would be much appreciated.

A while back I bought a pc from a shop and have not changed the hardware in any way, and the pc seems just the standard budget pc deal. And it looks like its lacking in GPU.

I would like my pc to be up to the standard of running a few games (Portal 2, Shogun 2 Total War, Fallout New Vegas...) to a good quality/speed but I am a student and can't afford anything around £100(GBP) or above.

Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System Manufacturer: Packard Bell

System Model: imedia S3210

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 425 Processor (3CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 3072MB RAM

(DirectX Version: DirectX 11)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9200

Display: 1280 x 1024 (60Hz)

Now what I am thinking of doing: I was thinking about getting the Radeon 5770 graphics card to hopefully bring my pc to the desired standard. Could I get away with running the stated games smoothly at medium graphics? Is this an unnecessary increase in GPU with my CPU still lacking?

Thank you for reading this and any replies, davehes

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The imedia S3210 looks as if it is in a microATX case and I would be careful about two things before leaping in and buying a 5770. First of all will it fit? Some of the smaller cases requre a low profile graphics card, so check on the headroom that you have. Secondly, how big is your power supply? Will it support the 5770? Take a look at these requirements you will need a 450W power supply with a 6pin PCIe power connector. The small case may have a custom power supply, better check if you can get one or maybe even think about putting the whole thing in a bigger case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015