We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

C drive to D drive

DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi all as I am running out of disc space so the messages tell me and I cannot uninstall any more programmes I seem to be down to the essentials looking at add and remove is it possible to put some files on the D drive? I am running XP with 144 Gb HDD and I have about 850mb of free space,or is it best to invest in a bigger hd Regards Dakar

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If a desktop you could consider a second HD for data and keep your existing HD for programmes.. IF a laptop then a USB HD may suit

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Is the 'D:' drive a separate drive or a partition?

The C: drive appears a bit small and a larger drive would be quicker, but most items in 'Programs' can be installed on a separate drive/partition; you will need to select the location on installation.

Like this post
davehes

Likes # 0

Like 'john bunyan' posted, an external hard-drive would be very effective if you stored many files.

For example I had a computer which had a good deal of digital camera photos stored in the C-Drive and almost filled it. By Using a removable hard-drive which I kept the photos on instead I managed to save a lot of space in the C-Drive.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi John bunyan it is a desktop and maybe a second HD might be the answer. Hi johndrew the D drive is a partition and could you please explain what you mean by I have to select the location on installation at the moment it has HP_RECOVERY(D:) Hi davehes that is what I find a problem I have no photos,or music files taking up a lot of disk space and yet I have such a small amount of space left,I keep running cc cleaner,disk clean up,and cleanup and yet I have not a lot of space. Might be a silly question but I am running XP sp3 do I need to keep sp1 and sp2 or can these be removed? Thankyou all for so much help I appreciate it very much Regards Dakar

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Don't move anything to the D: drive. The name indicates that it is a recovery partition to restore your computer back to ' as bought' condition should something go seriously wrong with your current installation. At the current price of hard drives you really should go for another drive, either internal or external. If its an internal one you go for then check whether you need SATA or IDE before purchasing.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

What I would do is to get a second drive, internal (preferable in my view - I have a pull out caddy for a second drive) or external, then put all your "My Documents" stuff and data you create on it - the existing drive shoukd be plenty big enough for aysyems files.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thankyou both You have confirmed what I have been thinking,a new internal HD any recommendations of make in your experience Regards Dakar

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would match your existing make, but with , say, 500 gig as they are quite reasonable. I have Western Digital and Hitachi.AS I said mine is mounted (SATA) in a removable caddy (from Maplin)and I actually have three, one of which is used about monthly to make an Acronis clone of my main drive.I also make images on another drive.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thankyou so much for your advice,I know feel I can go forward knowing what to get. Have a great weekend, regards Dakar

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)