We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External harddrive problem...please help

julia fraser

Likes # 0

Hi can anyone help me. I have an external hard drive which is manufactured by Seagate for OEM distribution. It sounds like it is trying to start up, makes an intermittent buzzing sound, light comes on but does not show up on my PC so not able to access all my files. Not sure if it has been dropped or if it is a software problem..............am not very technical so please keep replies free from jargon!! thanks...Jules

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Can you try it on another PC? You do not say what model your external drive is. If it is a small portable like this :Seagatethen you will have problems removing the hard-drive. If the hard-drive has been dropped it might be just the caddy is damaged.If you can remove the hard-drive you could either buy a new caddy or connect it to your PC using a simple connector.Connect Please post model of Seagate drive.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Another thought has occurred to me.

Is the Hard Drive, Mains Powered, or powered through the USB Cable?

If the second.

How old is your PC? ~ Because USB1 does not deliver as much power as USB2, even though both are otherwise compatible

Or is it possibly a Laptop? ~ because Laptops, frequently, don't give sufficient power through a single USB Socket to power an External Drive.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Perhaps Windows has not assigned a drive letter to the drive. Go to Start-Run and enter diskmgmt.msc . This will run the disc management tool. Does the drive show up here? Does it have a drive letter assigned?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'm guessing this is a Seagate Freeagent drive.

Are you using the same USB socket on the PC as you always do?

Have you tried a different USB socket?

Some external HDDs seem to have an aversion to changing USB connections for some reason.

If it has been dropped it could easily be dead; hopefully it hasn't and the following checks may help.

The base is a separate unit from the drive and is a push fit. With the unit completely detached from mains and PC try pulling the base off of the drive. Plug in the mains and USB cables then connect to the PC and power this up. Does the buzzing still exist? If it does then the adapter is probably faulty. If not, power off the adapter and refit the drive block. Power on again and see if this helps and what noises exist.

Some other points. Use only the USB cable and power supply and cables that came with the drive. Connect directly to the PC not via a hub.

Let us know what you find.

Like this post
julia fraser

Likes # 0

Hey guys thanks for quick reply. I have used it on a pc, a laptop and now a mac. It used to work fine but for some reason it stopped. Doesnt seem to be powering up properly like it did before. Used the make sound like a fan or like when you have a cd in your pc. Its a Medion HD 2 GO. 500gb

Its powered from the mains and connected to the pc thru a usb connection.

I have removed it from the sleeve and powered it up again but still the same problem.??

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Not sure what you mean by "have removed it from the sleeve and powered it up again but still the same problem" could you explain a little more?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If I understand you correctly, this Seagate drive was used on a PC (Medion HD 2 GO 500gb?) and you now use it with a Mac. Is that correct?

If used with the PC does it still work correctly? Or is it not functioning on both machines?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks