We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Moving Files from Desktop to My Documents

mhengel

Likes # 0

I was moving (dragging and dropping) files from my desktop to my documents. It was a number of files (excel, word, jpeg) and it took sometime to move, half way through the transfer I hit cancel and now I can't find half of the files. They aren't back on the desktop or in my documents. Any ideas where it might be. Thanks for any help.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

System restore back to before you moved them.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Better stick to one thread Previous thread. Hope you have a back up because you may well have lost them using cut and paste instead of copy and paste. Doubt that system restore will do anything as it deals with programs, driver,s etc not files.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you haven't used the clipboard in last hour, right click empty desktop and Paste.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

System Restore deals with everything. That's why it is aclled System Restore!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ams4127 please get your facts right. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/What-is-System-Restore. It does not restore everything. That is what back ups are for. A System image will restore everything system image

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

system restore is designed to leave your documents and some preferences alone.

The list of file types and directories to be included or excluded from monitoring by System Restore can be customized on Windows Me and Windows XP by editing %windir%\system32\restore\Filelist.xml

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do