We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics Card removal

HenryVII

Likes # 0

I want to remove a geforce gt 8800 graphics card. I can't get the hooked end away from the PCI slot. I don't want to damage the motherboard. What's the trick?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I had no problem when I replaced my graphics card. There is sometimes a screw or a clip on the metal panel with the sockets on, this has to be removed. The card then should lift out of the slot easily. When fitting the new one make sure the tab on the other end of the metal plate is in its slot.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Rocking gently end to end along the slot also helps

Like this post
HenryVII

Likes # 0

Thank you both. I've tried rocking the card, but something I can't see or feel seems to jam it. All except the rightmost corner comes away quite easily. The socket starts to move alarmingly if I pull any harder. I must say I've never had a similar problem when replacing other components in the past. I'll have to have another look, maybe using a torch and a small mirror.

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

There wil be a small clip near the hooked end of the card. You will need to gently move it to one side to remove the card. It can be similar to the one on the end of the ram cards. Once you move the clip the card should come out with litle force, if you rock it back and forth too much you could damage the tracks on the card connector.

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

Have a look at http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMDAM3Plus/CrosshairV_Formula/ , it will not be the same as yours but you can see the clips on the end of the graphics card slots. If you know the make of your motherboard have a look on the manufacturer’s site for the manual. That will give you detailed instructions how to remove and refit the card. If you are replacing the card you will need to remove the drivers first, then shutdown the pc, remove old card install the new one and then install the new drivers after the pc has re-started.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?