We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I freeze the 'POST' screen so I can read it.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

My computer displays it for 2 seconds then it's gone.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

If you look top-right of your keyboard there should be a Pause key so press that when you want freeze the screen. Press any other key to resume.

Note that this may not work if you're using a USB keyboard.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

I have tried that a number of times, but I have not really been fast enough. But I do not need to worry now as I don't have blue screen of death(bsod) on mac(thankfully) The only time that I had the bsod was all the time on my netbook when I had xp on it. Then on my mums Dell when tried removing vmlite workstation because the xp mode was pathetic, could not play old games on it. But that dont matter now as needing to reinstall win7(but dont really know why should as don't us it, as I have put fedora on, which my mum much prefers, and going to try to put freebsd on again when I have worked out how to do it in parallels on my Mac.

And if you are wondering what happened to win7, above few lines will give you a clue.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"what happened to win7, above few lines will give you a clue"

You've messed about with the new Dell then - no surprises there, just hope you've learnt do backups and imaging to make it easier to undo changes. (I know you like to try new/different stuff out :))

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

AitchBEE, you'll have to dig deep to un-tick a box.

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings ->

Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings ->

System failure -> Automatically restart un-ticked.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

Oops! Sorry, misread the OP's post.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Use a camera or your phone

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Oops! Sorry, misread the OP's post."

That advice should help Jwarn though in halting those BSODs so he can get a proper look.....that's if he ever returns to Windows of course.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel - the pause key method works well - Thanks - HB

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

eedcam and gigagiggles - thanks both handy tips. HB

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks