We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless issue.

nsol

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

My wireless connections works fine on my laptop (Samsung S3511) but won't work on my PC. When it does, it disconnects a LOT and the strength keeps changing. I'm not sure what's going wrong. Drivers are up to date, and everything seems to be normal on my Desktop. I'd appreciate some help. I'm with Virgin media (UK).

Here are my PC specs:

ASUS P8P67 PRO Intel 2500k 3.3 GHz TP Link WN851N Adapter

Thanks.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings. Many routers use either 6 or 11 as the default so try one of these or, if already using one, try the other.

Avoid 1/2, as many other devices such as cordless phones use these, and avoid 12/13 which some adapters won't connect to.

Like this post
nsol

Likes # 0

Tried that. It's improved a little, but the signal still changes quite a bit.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The type of encryption used might also be causing a problem with the desktop PC. If using "WPA2 with AES", try changing to "WPA with TKIP". Doing this will mean that you need to delete the profiles from all computers that connect wirelessly and then go through the procedure to connect them again when a new profile will be saved.

Like this post
nsol

Likes # 0

Thanks. Will the same password work?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Should do as both use a key of between 8 and 63 ASCII characters.

Like this post
nsol

Likes # 0

That didn't help either :(. Signal strength still fluctuates quite a bit! :(

Like this post
nsol

Likes # 0

Managed to fix it :). Just moved my desk around in the room.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more