We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thunderbird email timing out

Newuser2

Likes # 0

I cannot send emails. I get an error message saying the server has timed out. I get emails fine just cant send them. I've checked the setting on the account and they are the same as another email addy. I running W7. Any help most welcome

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Are you saying that you cannot send any mail from Thunderbird or that you cannot send from one account?

Normally mail from all accounts in Thunderbird will be sent using the same SMTP server, which will be that of the ISP with whom you're connected to the internet. This shouldn't create a problem, unless your particular ISP only allows mail with its own email addresses to be sent from its server. BT at one time imposed this restriction which precluded the use of personal domain addresses, unless the address was registered with them.

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Sorry should explain better. I have one email account for my lappy and one for the desktop. Its the desktop email thats playing up.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Is Thunderbird in the desktop configured properly with the SMTP server of your ISP, i.e. with the correct server address, port number, authentication if required, security setting etc?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger