We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft rang to warn about system crash? Scam surely?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, a friend has just yold me that, apparently, Microsoft rang him last week to say his 'system is about to crash'! He hung up on them but still thinks it was genuine as they had his number, address, name etc! I've told him it was a scam but he is still insisting on wiping his system this weekend! Any thoughts please?

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

Pine Man, i am glad to see that you have had good experience with Microsoft as i have in the past to the present day & to be sent a new install CD from them was a sure bonus.

Yes it's a shame that there are those that have too much time to make other peoples life a misery by telephoning them and causing nothing but upset to unsuspecting people. It’s a shame that they come in all walks of life.

Even on here (Pc Advisor) there are those that think it's clever to make snide comments when all they are doing is making themselves look quite silly & childish.

I think it's general knowledge that Microsoft is a big international company that is respected and trusted by many, so if there are those that don't wish to pass on their private information then so be it, that is there choice. AS FOR "BT" who and when i choose to pass on my personal details to is Absolutely none of your business. So why not spend a little more effort in helping others rather than trying to find fault with others. I suppose that’s the polite way of getting the message to you BT. ;-))

Like this post
dave_1967

Likes # 0

3 cheers to T I M B O..... I also had a call from microsoft advising me about the number of error reports sent from me. Basicaly it turned out i had a corrupt instal of vista,Micrsoft remoted my system to find much needed reg files missing, they very kindly sent me new cd's with a new key code. Anyway the morrel of my story is sometimes it pays to register with microsoft,and give your details so lets hope "bt" dosn't get issue with his o/s.. as i did because then microsoft won't be calling (More fool him i guess) :-p

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The vast majority of these calls are scam. I have never had MS call me.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

T I M B O, re your post at 3:44PM, I do not think I am 'SO WRONG' I said Microsoft do not cold call.

If you have not opened an incident (ticket for Support) with Microsoft, they do not contact you ClickHere

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

I stand by what I say; I can only report what has happened to me personally.

Your link was dated 2009, I got the cold call or courtesy call back in 2002.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

T I M B O, there is a difference between a 'cold call' and a 'call in response to error reports you have sent to MS when your details are registered with them so they know who you are'

and do calm down dear, you seem to get very het up.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

It was the day of 29th December 2001 when i got my 1st computer. XP Home Edition with SP 1, Median 1.8 Ghz & 256 Ram. This is when i sent my details to MS, i have not bothered since of course, but i have had many chats with them since via the telephone and they do ask for your details. The only time i have had communication with MS is when my computer does "Error Reporting" which was back in 2002.

The reason why i get so het up as you say is because when i know that something has happened for sure & they tell me different, then yes i get rather upset. I am here as many others are, not for my benefit, but for those that are not "geeks" so to speak. I am not here to belittle others or even think i am 100% correct all the time. I am just me, take it or leave it. ;-))

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

If this happens to anybody again, tell the caller that you're just going to get the person called, then put down the phone and walk away until the phone squeals to tell you that the other end has rung off. It'll cost them not you.

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

Wow, that's nice service from Microsoft if that is truth!

But first they should have monitored your OS in order to do so, right? Is that legal?

Bill Tech Manager Wptinc

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Interesting comments...

Microsofts position on this as far as I know is as follows, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/does-microsoft-or-a-microsoft-call-center-ever/33968898-8371-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

As lotvic points out there is a huge difference between a "cold call" and a call in request for help.

We seem to get spells here of such calls, sometimes two or three times a day and then nothing for months. I keep them talking too and then thank them for their time and mention that they have now been on the line long enough to get a "satellite fix" on their exact location :)

They can't hang up quick enough ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite