We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft rang to warn about system crash? Scam surely?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, a friend has just yold me that, apparently, Microsoft rang him last week to say his 'system is about to crash'! He hung up on them but still thinks it was genuine as they had his number, address, name etc! I've told him it was a scam but he is still insisting on wiping his system this weekend! Any thoughts please?

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

I had a similar one a few months ago. I received a call saying they are from a security company and my pc is sending out a virus. I said it is clean and fully checked. I built it myself and know what I am doing. He then said did you know your warranty has run out, I said I am using Win 7 Ultimate 64 with an SSD. He then said ah you have an old system, I said no I am using a Vertex 2 SSD so it cannot be old it has only just come out. He did not know what an SSD drive was.He asked to to look in the error logs and said look you have loads of problems, I said they look normal to me all pc's have error logs! He then tried to sell me warranty as WIn 7 only has a few weeks warranty and it does not tell you that as it is hidden! I continued to baffle him with pc terms. Eventually he passed me on to someone else to sell me a warranty; I played along with him, saying that sounds good 5 years warranty for £200. When it came to paying I said my credit card has expired and am waiting for a new one. He put me onto someone else, this last person said you can ring a number and pay that way. It was a number in London.

I did not ring; I had kept them on the phone for over 45 minutes :-) as I had some spare time. I thought keep them talking and so they cannot con someone that would panic if they got a call saying their pc had a virus.

So if you get a call and have a spare hour wind them up and save someone else!!!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'So if you get a call and have a spare hour wind them up and save someone else!!!'

I am retired with plenty of free time and have had some real laughs with these people easily keeping them talking for 15/20 minutes at a time whilst they try and guide me through all sorts of activity on my computer. However, on no occasion was I ever near my PC but sitting in front of the TV encouraging them with the occasional, 'ok', 'yes', 'no' or 'what did you say' in no particular order.

virtually all of the calls come from someone with an Indian accent but it has become apparent at the end of the calls that they are rapidly learning quite a bit of 'anglo saxon'!

Keep up the good work everybody and keep them talking;-)

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Absolutely Fantastic!!!!!!

Like this post
joel6429

Likes # 0

I've had several calls from Indian souding people. They ask me to enter Logmein.com. This lets them access your computer and they put crap onto your system and they kindly offer to remove it if you provide them with your credit card details. They also claim to be Microsoft accredited engineers. Just hang up on them!

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

There are mixed feelings regarding this Scam. I reported to the Derbyshire Police and they said they have had many calls regarding this issue. But! on a good note, i had a friend in Australia who also had a call, but this was from Microsoft. It's getting harder & harder to see the fakes, but i shall say this, Microsoft will NOT ask you for money were as the scammers will.

DO NOT ADD SOFTWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER IF THEY ASK YOU TOO.

Like this post
clock

Likes # 0

I'm thoroughly sick of these people 'phoning me, almost daily over the last 10 days!! Sometimes they say they are from a Microsoft company, today it was Global Tech on a 0091 number. Have reported these incidents to the police before but there is no way to stop them as they are 'phoning from out of the country! Sometimes I keep them talking asking them to repeat what they've said, other times I just tell them to go away!

Clock

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

T I M B O "a friend in Australia who also had a call, but this was from Microsoft"

No way did that happen, Microsoft don't cold call anyone to tell them their pc is throwing up errors etc. We are not that important. Just doesn't happen. Any phone calls in that vein are a scam. Microsoft cannot and do not monitor your pc and it's performance/content, they would have to have hacked your firewall to look at your files.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

Dear lotvic, YOU ARE SO WRONG. When you install XP and you register your operating system you have the option to fill out the information with your name, address & telephone numbers. Also if you have not switched off sending error reports then microsoft will watch the error reports and know where they came from & yes without watching what documents are on your computer. So Mr lotvic, please re check your facts!!!!

I had a call from Microsoft back in 2002. My friend in Australia had a call last month regarding an issue with her browser.

END OFF!!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

TIMBO

I too have had phone calls from Microsoft to do with Vista and Internet Explorer. They took control of my PC, with my permission, and tried to fix the problem but couldn't and ended up sending me a replacement Vista installation disc set.

It was quite clear (to me) that the 'other' phone calls from Microsoft that I received were scams and they will continue to get the same treatment from me - to keep them talking as long as possible.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

T I M B O

"you have the option to fill out the information with your name, address & telephone numbers"

Its an OPTION and more fool you for filling it out especially your phone number.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...